Could I backdate my child care fees? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Could I backdate my child care fees?

lawraahh30 Member Posts: 11 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I recently got awarded lcwra. I know this gets backdated, I was just wondering if anyone knew whether that means I could backdate to get up to 85% of my childcare fees back from those months or would that just start from now on? Thanks 


  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,716

    Scope community team

    hello @lawraahh30

    Welcome to the community, it's lovely to see you join us. 

    Congratulations on the award, I hope you are happy with it. 

    I found this information on the website, unfortunately it does not mention about whether it can be backdated to the start of your claim so I am unsure about that:

    "If you are eligible, your childcare costs will be included and paid as part of your Universal Credit payment. You will receive up to 85% of the childcare costs you pay, up to a maximum monthly limit of:

    • £646.35 for one child
    • £1108.04 for 2 or more children

    You can only claim childcare costs for a dependent child up to the 31 August following the child’s 16th birthday.

    You will receive your childcare costs in arrears. This means that you will need to pay the costs yourself and then claim the money back through Universal Credit."

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,765 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    Started my post again cause the formatting got all confused.

    The normal rule is that childcare costs have to reported before the end of the AP in which they are incurred. However the time limit can be extended - see paragraph F7065.
    I don’t know if it applies to your situation but it seems reasonable that it would. Report your costs with an explanation that they were not previously reported because you didn’t qualify at the time but do now having got LCWRA. Do this ASAP.

    Would be interested to know how you get on.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.