Hi, my name is thusith! I have a problem with my council tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is thusith! I have a problem with my council tax

pille
pille Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have problem with my council tax who can advice me
please, thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    It depends what problem you have, all councils have their own rules. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pille
    Hi, my problem is they charging too much tax from me
  • poppy123456
    How much council tax reduction you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. Even when claiming this, most people have to pay something each month.
    If you're claiming Universal Credit, have you applied for council tax reduction from your local Authority?
    You can try a benefits calculator. Providing you put all the correct information into it, it will tell you what you're entitled to. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=44827eb2-ab59-4d1d-a4b3-450f992a75b9
    I can't help any further because i know nothing about your circumstances.
    You can also speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check. Start here for this. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @thusith, Happy Halloween!

When you say you are being charged too much for your council tax, what makes you believe that? I hope the above reply from Poppy has been helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • pille
    yes Ross, I use to pay £300.00 per year, Now £1200.00.
    and I am mentally ill disabled person.
    But I do not claim any benefit. rather than they charging from me, they suppose to pay thousand of money for me!
    they should have some form of release to like us people. is in it,
  • poppy123456
    pille said:

But I do not claim any benefit.
    You have to claim council tax reduction, it's not automatically awarded.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If your claiming universal credit and you don't work you don't pay counciol tax its paid for you but if your on universal credit and your working you will have reductions if your single occupancy 25 percent where I live but if someone lives with you lose your single occupancy reduction 

Not sure how it works when you have children and married  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think that's quite right @lisathomas50 each council has it's own eligibility criteria for council tax reduction as explained by poppy 

Most eligible for a reduction still pay something like myself I get uc , classed as living alone not working,  full pip but I still pay even though it is only a small amount 

The op states they don't claim any benefits so may not be entitled to any reduction 
  • poppy123456
    If your claiming universal credit and you don't work you don't pay counciol tax its paid for you
    That's not quite correct and i think it's been mentioned on a different thread previously. Even for those that claim means tested benefits most people have to pay a small amount each month.
    During Covid some local Authorities were given extra money and they passed this onto those on low income but this was only temporary.
  • Glaitness
    Glaitness Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Quick question . 
    I have had a council tax reduction due I thought to Autism and SMI and being on DLA . Told yesterday as UC has now stopped . Reduction has stopped. Thought it had nothing to do with UC but exemption for me only due to disability . Now from yesterday owe them over thousand pound and they are sending it to a debt collection agency . 
  • poppy123456
    Glaitness said:
    Quick question . 
    I have had a council tax reduction due I thought to Autism and SMI and being on DLA . Told yesterday as UC has now stopped . Reduction has stopped. Thought it had nothing to do with UC but exemption for me only due to disability . Now from yesterday owe them over thousand pound and they are sending it to a debt collection agency . 

You're not just awarded this based on a Autism diagnosis. There is a procedure you need to go through.
    • Get a claim form from your council. You'll need to contact your local authority for a claim form to register for a council tax discount (find contact details via the Government's 'Apply for Council Tax Reduction' service).

• Then, you'll need a doctor's diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed you as severely mentally impaired. In some cases you'll need to attach a written diagnosis to your claim – in others you just give your doctor's details and they'll be contacted for confirmation. GPs are not allowed to charge you for this certification.

• Fill the form in and send it off to your council. You may be asked to attach some supporting evidence, such as the doctor's diagnosis or evidence of eligibility for relevant benefits.

Procedures vary by council, so if you want to know how long it will take for the discount to be applied, it's best to check with yours.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/severe-mental-impairment-dementia-council-tax-rebate/

Has your UC stopped because of earnings or savings being too high? If so, did you report the changes to your local Authority?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.