PLEASE HELP ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PLEASE HELP ESA

Options
KathWhite21
KathWhite21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I'm wondering if you can possibly help me

So I've been on income based ESA  in the support group for many years, I am also on PIP enhanced rates for both daily living and mobility I was claiming as a single person however I met my partner and they subsequent moved In and was added onto my ESA claim just as my full time carer and they also claim carers allowance for me now too, 

Unfortunately our relationship has drastically been breaking down and I'm feeling incredibly trapped and miserable overall and I don't know if I want or even if I could manage to continue to pursue this relationship, 

My concern about things ending are regarding the possible financial implications, if I were to end things with my partner and then stop them from claiming carers allowance for me and then ask them to move out, what would happen regarding my Support group ESA, would it be able to go back to like it used to be?  Just as a single person as the claim and award is for me, my partner isn't registered disabled and was only added onto my claim for the caring side? 

I'm just very concerned about how this split could affect me financially as the last thing I want is to have to be forced across to universal credit under a brand new claim, 

So I guess what I'm asking is if me and my partner break up and they leave, can I retain my ESA claim back to how it used to be or would this be a triggering factor for universal credit? 

Thank you very much in advance for any help advice and guidance given.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,341 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If your partner moved out then your ESA would revert back to the single person claim. If this means that no other adults living with you, unless they are either registered blind or claiming a a qualifing disability benefit. No one claims carers allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you, you will be entitled to the Severe Disability Premium in with your ESA. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
    Your partner will need to report the changes to Carers Allowance also.
    This advice is providing you don't need to make a new claim for any help with the rent. If you do then you should claim the SDP first but after this you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with the rent, which will end any Income Related ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KathWhite21
    KathWhite21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hey thank you for your response, before my partner moved in I was already claiming housing benefit and then I had to report a change in circumstance and fill In a form for housing benefit, so if me and my partner split up given I already claim housing benefit would rechanging this count as a requirement for switching to universal credit? Or given its a current claim would I still be able to stay on ESA? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This would not be classed as a change of circumstances to prompt a move to UC. If you move house to a different local Authority then this would prompt a move to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.