Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

ESA issues

Options
Alison78
Alison78 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I wonder if anyone could offer us some advise. My husband has had 3 micro diseconomies and is now bedridden most of the time with pain. He is in about 40 different tablets a day and is currently awaiting another referral to the pain clinic. He has been on /off work for the last 3 year due to the operations but has worked since he was 16 and is now 49. 
He started claiming ESA in April and has contribution based due to his working. He had an assessment about 3 weeks ago and last wee we had a message in our UC journal advising they had transferred the ESA Assessment decision of LCWRA to our claim. We called ESA this morning and she advised it is still with the decision maker! We are struggling financially and mentally. We have lost his salary of £40K and feel totally let down as it’s a continual fight for everything. 

Can anyone let us know what happens now 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,110 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    If the work capability assessment was through the UC claim then the LCWRA would mean that he should be placed into the Support Group for ESA. If you are not currently working there's no financial gain to claiming both the ESA and UC together because the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    For UC there is a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the LCWRA element is then paid from the 4th month of the claim starting from when he reported the health condition.
    May i ask if he's claiming PIP? If not then have a look at this https://pipinfo.net/ If he is and it includes the daily living award then make sure that you are claiming the carers element of UC in with your maximum entitlement, if you care for him for at least 35 hours per week.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alison78
    Options
    He does get PIP £323 approx per month, we have been advised by Welfare Right to ask to be reassessed after the ESA assessment results as the assessment for PIP was prior to his last operation that hasn’t worked. I’m 95% sure the assessment form we filled out was for ESA. We were so upset speaking to the woman from ESA who advised the assessment was complete but with the decision maker. Why would they tell UC he was on the LWCRA and they ESA say they don’t know why that has happened. I just don’t understand is the assessment is LWCRA why does it go to a decision maker. 

Thanks for responding x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Has he received a decision letter from ESA or a letter on his journal for UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alison78
    Options
    A letter on his journal from UC.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then he will need to wait for ESA to place him into the Support Group, which can sometimes take a while. As advised, unless you're either working, have savings over £6,000 or he has a works pension then you won't be any better off by the extra money for the ESA because it's deducted in full from your maximum UC entitlement.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.