My son has autism. Are there any advisors who could help me get the correct care package for him? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has autism. Are there any advisors who could help me get the correct care package for him?

jricha71 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello I am the mother of a 29 year old autistic man and having problems with getting a suitable package of care from the LA.  Are there any special advisors out there that could assist me in helping me to get the correct package for my son?


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jricha71

    Welcome to the community, I hope you are well.

    Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with getting a care package in place. I am unsure about specialist advisers, but you could consider getting an advocate or perhaps contacting Carers UK to see if they can advise at all, they have a helpful page about getting care and support.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jricha71

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. In addition to the advice provided by the amazing @Ross_Scope, I am just wondering if you could please expand on the package you are looking for? Is this educational, health, or social care or a mixture of all the above? The approach is likely to vary depending on the types of support you are looking for! Thanks in advance for your further responses, it would just help us to support you the most effective we can  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jricha71
    jricha71 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My son has severe autism and lives in a shared house with a 24/7 carer.  However the provider has said that they can't meet his needs on the current care plan and indeed they have to subsidise  his living.  They say he requires for socialisation 2 on 1 staffing but Local authority only pay for 1 on 1.  in addition he needs experienced staff and when we get good ones they move on, as a minimum wage doesn't entice the more qualified/experienced people to stay.   My problem is the care plan hasn't changed but the situation of who provides it will and that ultimately may lead to another breakdown in placement.
    I don't know the right things to say or do to get the LA to put the right words together to get the right package.   

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jricha71 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry about the difficult situation for you & your son. I wonder if it might be helpful to try getting an advocate to help you both. I know one of our members was helped by VoiceAbility. Please see:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.