Instagram — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Instagram

csno01
csno01 Member Posts: 253 Pioneering
Hi everyone,
Are there any Instagram is here? I have heard there is a massive network On the platform for disabled people. I am interested to find out a bit more about it if possible please.

Many thanks?
CSno01

Comments

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

Hi @csno01

Instagram is essentially a platform for sharing photos, it is owned by Facebook (or Meta s they're now known) and is quite popular amongst young people and adults. 

I'm sure there are many people from the disabled community on there, it is probably one of if not the most popular social media platform at the minute so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a strong community on there.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,416

Scope community team

Hi @csno01

I recall a thread of yours from the other day about Instagram, and I have merged it with this one, so my previous comment is above this one. 

I use the platform to browse fairly regularly and I imagine there is quite a big community of disabled people on there. Do you have any idea of who you would want to follow?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,632 Disability Gamechanger
    I think i'm too old and long in the tooth for instagram, i've just about got to grips with facebook  :)
    I am a person with epilepsy not an epileptic, my illness doesn't define me.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    Lots of so-called disability communities and influencers on Instagram but then you can say the same about most social media nowadays. I’m not sure what you influence inside a bubble using just pictures and tags though. Ultimately you need to decide whether it’s sufficiently accessible, which differs from person to person, and the extent to which you wish to surrender your privacy.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/instagram-ads-use-all-your-facebook-data
  • csno01
    Hi @csno01

I recall a thread of yours from the other day about Instagram, and I have merged it with this one, so my previous comment is above this one. 

I use the platform to browse fairly regularly and I imagine there is quite a big community of disabled people on there. Do you have any idea of who you would want to follow?
    [email protected]_Scope 

Apologies for that. It came to me shortly after posting that I have already started a thread with the same subject.
    At the moment, no not really. Although I guess, following some music artists, would probably be a good start.  I guess I  could look into it and perhaps register and go from there. :-) 
  • csno01
    @woodbine
    well done for becoming part of the Facebook community. I hope you enjoy it.
  • csno01
    Lots of so-called disability communities and influencers on Instagram but then you can say the same about most social media nowadays. I’m not sure what you influence inside a bubble using just pictures and tags though. Ultimately you need to decide whether it’s sufficiently accessible, which differs from person to person, and the extent to which you wish to surrender your privacy.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/instagram-ads-use-all-your-facebook-data
    Hi @mikehughescq
    thanks for the heads up. This is definitely something to think about. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.