Will my university maintenance loan affect my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my university maintenance loan affect my ESA?

Options
begum3131
begum3131 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi i am currently on esa income related support group and pip.and recently started studying uni.i wanted to know how will it affect my esa because of my maintenance loan.i have notified dwp.am waiting for them to get back to me.am worried 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    HI,
    If any part of your ESA is Contributions based, this won't be affected. For any Income Related amount this link may help. I've copied and pasted part of the link which may help. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students

I receive income-related Employment and Support Allowance, PIP and Housing Benefit. How will my entitlement to loans as a full-time undergraduate student affect my means-tested benefits?

In higher education, if you’re eligible for a student maintenance loan, part of it will be considered as income.

As an undergraduate student, if you qualify for certain benefits such as DLA or PIP you will be entitled to receive more support with living costs. The loan has a maintenance element and a special support element (up to £4,014). The special support element will be ignored as income for means-tested benefits.

It can be complicated to calculate how much benefit you might finally receive, but here is an example of a full-time student.

If you’re a first-year student, the maximum loan for the 2021/22 year outside of London is £10,815. This includes a special support element of £4,014.

After ignoring the special support element, the remainder £6,801 will be the maximum maintenance loan. The benefit rules allow you £303 a year for travel costs and £390 a year for books and equipment.

The remaining £6,108 is divided over 42 or 43 weeks, depending on the total number of term weeks.

A further £10 a week is disregarded.

The rest counts as income.

So if your term weeks add up to 42, your weekly loan will be £145.43.

After £10 has been disregarded the remaining £135.43 will be treated as income.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.