Who pays for Residential living costs for Autistic adult? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who pays for Residential living costs for Autistic adult?

Options
AutisticAdult
AutisticAdult Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am an autistic adult and am homeless at the moment. I have seen that the National Autistic Society has Residential shared house vacancies for adults with autism, but their website says "appropriate funding must be in place" - what does this mean please, and which organisation would pay for this?
- Is it the council in that area, or is it the NHS, and how is it possible for an autistic adult to access this funding please?

Thanks a lot
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    HI,
    What about support living? The rent for this is paid for by claiming housing benefit and you would pay the other bills yourself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AutisticAdult
    Options
    Hi and thanks very much for your reply Poppy,

I note that the available vacancies in the Residential shared houses for autistic people, offered by the National Autistic Society are dotted around the country, in areas in which I am not living at the moment.

In this way, would I apply directly to the local council/social services in the area in which a specific vacancy exists please?

In regards to Housing Benefit, has that now not been replaced by the DWP's Universal Credit system, or does Housing Benefit still exist from local councils, in certain circumstances, like for disabled people looking for help with housing costs like me?

Thanks a lot
  • AutisticAdult
    Options
    Could I also please ask - in regards to an assessment by a local authority/social services, in Covid times, would that be done in person at their offices, or do they do telephone/video assessments due to the virus ? 

Many thanks
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hello @AutisticAdult

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that you are currently homeless. I hope the reply from Poppy has been helpful in making you more aware of your options.

AutisticAdult said:

In regards to Housing Benefit, has that now not been replaced by the DWP's Universal Credit system, or does Housing Benefit still exist from local councils, in certain circumstances, like for disabled people looking for help with housing costs like me?

Regarding housing benefit, this information comes from the Gov.uk website and details eligibility criteria:

"If you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

You can make a new claim if:

• you’re living in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B arranged by your council
    • you’re living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse
    • you’re living in sheltered or supported housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with ‘care, support or supervision’

If you do not get ‘care, support or supervision’ through your supported or sheltered housing, you can apply for Universal Credit to help with housing costs."

Have you contacted the National Autistic Society to ask them about the scheme and whether you would be able to access it? They have a helpline that you could call.

Could I also please ask - in regards to an assessment by a local authority/social services, in Covid times, would that be done in person at their offices, or do they do telephone/video assessments due to the virus ? 

Many thanks

On this web page, it says:

"The needs assessment can happen:

• face-to-face
    • over the phone

Assessments usually last at least an hour."

So I suppose they have a degree of flexibility, I imagine the pandemic has impacted it in some way but it's not clear if restrictions are still in place for assessments based on this information.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • AutisticAdult
    Options
    Hi Ross,

Thanks for your reply,

In regards to Universal Credit paying for the Residential living costs, the website link you gave me says it is available for "private landlords, housing associations, mortgage payments or Supported living", and I don't think this fits in any of those categories unfortunately.

About the National Autistic Society helpline, unfortunately that was closed down recently, as per the website link you gave me: "

Helpline closure

Please note: the Autism Helpline closed on 9 June 2021."

Therefore do you or anyone else have any other information, in reference to living specifically in "Residential shared accommodation without Support, for adults with autism" please?

Here is a link to the page on the National Autistic Society website, which is advertising these vacancies: https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/adult-residential-services/vacancies

Thank you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Universal Credit housing element and housing benefit will not cover the costs for residential living. Part of it can be funded by a local Authority and the remainder of the bills will depend on which benefits exactly you're claiming, for example, if you're claiming either DLA care or PIP daily living, these could be affected.
    Whether you would be placed into residentail care will of course depends on how the ASD affects you. Some Autistic people manage quite will in just supported living.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AutisticAdult
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Thanks very much for your reply and information,

In respect to Supported living, how would I go about finding suitable accommodation in a Supported living situation - would I need to find my own place through a private landlord, and then claim for Supported living assistance, or is there some help out there for this?
    - When I say 'suitable accommodation', I mean a quiet environment without sensory overloads.

Many thanks
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Again, for this you would first need to have a needs assessment from your local Authority, the link is posted above by myself but i'll post it again here. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/
    Supported Living is not through any private landlord, it will be through your local Authority so you would need to google "supported living" in your area.

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 539 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

Did you get any closer to finding suitable accomodation? I have autism too as well as other mental and physical health conditions and just been offered supported accomodation which I move into in 4 weeks time. It is my own flat and tenancy with 15 hours of care and support from a care worker.

To answer your question it is funded by the local authority, and I only have to cover bills. You have to be referred by either a needs assessment, or by a health professional as in my case my nurse referred me for it. You are then placed on a waiting list until a property in your desired area becomes available. When you are offered a property, then they apply for funding for it from the council/local authority.

Hope this helps,
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.