Worried about rocking the P.I.P boat, but I think I might be entitled to standard rate mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Worried about rocking the P.I.P boat, but I think I might be entitled to standard rate mobility

marksman Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA

I suffer from various medical issues, physical and mental health problems, 

I suffer from Social anxiety and spend most of my life in my apartment, I don't have any friends or family, I'm scared to go out and get really worked up if I have to go out, I can't use public transport, I hate any form of crowds and I get really confused easily, 

I used to get the lower mobility rate, well about 5 years ago, but it stopped when I was reviewed a few years ago so I only get the lower living component, my condition hadn't and hasn't changed, if anything since lockdown it's exasperated all my mental health issues, 

I'm sure I heard that people with some mental health conditions will be able to get the lower mobility rate because of issues going out and living any sort of life, which I don't, 

Am I correct in thinking about the mobility side of PIP is correct and I should be claiming it, I have to take taxis to my appointments because I can't be around people,

My problem is it was hard enough to get it and it caused so much stress and anxiety for weeks that I'm put off saying anything because I don't want another issue with claiming, 

I hope that makes sense and hope someone can help



  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

    Scope community team

    Hi @marksman

    Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to hear about how your social anxiety impacts you. Do you have support in place or coping techniques to manage it? 

    People do get the mobility component for their mental health, however as with the rest of PIP it's not so much about having a certain condition, it's about how it impacts you in relation to the PIP descriptors, which you can find here.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.