Moving to GB from NI. Will it be simple to transfer my claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Moving to GB from NI. Will it be simple to transfer my claim?

cwatson0000 Member Posts: 34 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there, I claim universal credit and I’m moving to England from NI this Monday. I am aware that NI operate separately from GB and was wondering if anyone knew how simple it would be to transfer my claim? Will I miss out on any money? Would I encounter any issues? Many thanks :) 


  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 7,005

    Scope community team

    Hi @cwatson0000 :) I'm sorry that I'm not quite sure on the answer to this, and didn't get time to research it today. I've marked your post as unanswered to flag to other members that you haven't had an answer to your query yet. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,052 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think it's a question we have been asked before, AFAIK some benefits differ in N.I. but not sure if that applies to UC.
    Be kind to newer members
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,746 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    A claim for UC made in NI should be treated as continuous when you move to GB according to the regulations but i have no knowledge of what is involved from a practical point of view.
    1. 3. Acts omissions or events having effect in GB or NI for the purposes of the relevant legislation are to have corresponding effect in the other territory and in particular—

      1. a claim for universal credit made in GB or NI has effect as if made in the other territory;

      2. residence, presence or employment in GB or NI will have effect as if it were residence, presence or employment in the other territory;

      3. any period time served for any purpose in GB or NI has effect as if it were served for a corresponding purpose in the other territory

    Possibly you report a change of circumstance on your existing UC journal and it then gets transferred across - but I really don't know.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,533 Disability Gamechanger
    UC has replaced all the old benefits here so it’s likely just a change of address that’s needed once you move. 


Need to talk?

Over Christmas the online community might be a little quieter than usual, so if you need urgent emotional support or if you feel like you might be in crisis, please read up about how to stay safe for now and find help.

You can also speak to somebody in confidence by calling Samaritans on 116 123 for free or send an email to
[email protected]

Of course, if you feel like you might be at risk right now, please call 999 or visit your local hospital.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.