Daylight Saving Time: is it worth it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daylight Saving Time: is it worth it?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
Daylight Saving Time (DST) has been used for over 100 years. 

Some people want us to continue using it, whereas others think it's time for it to go.

Here's an article from timeanddate.com explaining some of the pros and cons. Let us know what you think down below :)
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Daylight Saving Time: is it worth it? 7 votes

Yes, I think DST should stay
42%
poppy123456woodbine[Deleted User] 3 votes
No, I think DST should go
42%
[Deleted User]easyOverlyAnxious 3 votes
I'm not sure, or I'm not bothered!
14%
leeCal 1 vote

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    As I get older I find that the longer summer evenings are a bonus, I love to sit in the garden until dusk appears, and therefore I hate these evenings when night seems to appear at 5 p.m and last forever.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't think of one reason why it shouldn't stay. I love the ligher evenings. Shutting the curtains about 4.30 is just horrible.
    When i look after my grandson, he's waiting by the back door at 4 because he thinks his daddy has forgotten about him. He's not used to the darker evenings bless him.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    As a fan of the darker months, I appreciate it :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure, or I'm not bothered!
    The trouble with darker evenings is if you have a lay in the day flies past. 
    The other problem is using more electricity, not so much in lights, I have LEDs, but on the tv and with the sun going down it gets colder earlier too so the heating goes on earlier. We are right with the sun though apparently. 

I like the winter months generally speaking but yes, the evenings are a bit long. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I generally like the darker nights, when I used to work 6-4 and 6-5 shifts, it was horrible though as I was going to work and coming back in the dark so saw no sunlight all day. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,612 Disability Gamechanger
    No, I think DST should go
    There's no reason that we couldn't stay on DST permanently, keeping the evenings as light as possible.  That would be my preference. 

My body clock doesn't cope with the time changes well at all unfortunately.
  • Kayley
    Kayley Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I suppose if it is beneficial in saving using electricity for lighting- allowing us to get the most out of natural resources it’s a good thing especially when we need to look after our planet ?  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.