Direct Payments- what might they give? Can I hire my mum to be a PA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct Payments- what might they give? Can I hire my mum to be a PA?

naomi_reece
naomi_reece Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone. We have just had a needs assessment from a social worker but she has said the results will take over a month. My son is 11 and very physically disabled (I'm currently carrying him up and down stairs as our house can't fit a stairlift!). I also have ME and hypermobility syndrome, just to add to the fun. Direct payments have been mentioned, does anyone know a rough idea of what they might give? I don't know if I should expect to be able to pay for 2 or 20 hours care... also can I hire my mum to be a PA?! Thanks everyone!
Tagged:

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I don’t think anyone can give you that information to be fair, that’s down to the individual who carried out the care needs assessment to tell you what they can offer you. 

If you disagree with what is offered you will be able to go through their complaints procedure. 
  • naomi_reece
    naomi_reece Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    MarkM88 said:
    I don’t think anyone can give you that information to be fair, that’s down to the individual who carried out the care needs assessment to tell you what they can offer you. 

If you disagree with what is offered you will be able to go through their complaints procedure. 
    Maybe I worded it wrong... I know no one will be able to tell me what we will get. I'm more hoping to gauge what the possibilities are by getting an idea of what others are getting
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't really compare your son to someone else because other peoples conditions will be different and we're all affected differently by these conditions. It will also depend on your local Authority because what one may offer another local Authority maybe completely different.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.