Long term sick leave — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Long term sick leave

Hi I was wandering if anyone who could advise me? You I have been on sick leave for 4 months suffer with Eupd and bipolar and I can’t see me being about to work or go back to being with working with people at all as I hear voices and very up and down. I’m currently getting sick pay from my work which will go down to statutory very soon.. very lucky and great fun that I have this as my partners is on minimum wage and we have a child. I was wandering could I apply to go onto esa and let work know? I don’t want to mess work around but I’m very confused as have worked all my life but I have so much time off sick my work are going to get rid of me anyway? Any help much appreciated


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,664 Disability Gamechanger
    You will not be able to claim ESA while claiming SSP. SSP is payable for 28 weeks from your employer. 3 months before this ends, if you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years you will be able to claim New style ESA but payments won't start until your SSP has ended. When you claim it, you will need your SSP1 form and a fit note from your employer. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    In the meantime you can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you live with your partner you'll need to claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    If you claim tax credits this will end once you claim Universal Credit. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=21a09826-66fa-4b68-aaad-d2499e077043
    If you claim UC you should report your health condition and send in fit notes from your GP.

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,997 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 9
    Hi @Matilda1234 - I'm sorry you haven't felt well enough to continue working. Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) lasts for 28 weeks, but if you have had enough National Insurance contributions in the 2 years up to April 2021, then you can claim ESA up to 3 months before your SSP ends. ESA wouldn't start until your SSP actually ends, & you would need to ask your employers to complete a SSP1 form to show your SSP will be ending. You can check your National Insurance contributions here: https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record    Hope this helps. :)
  • Matilda1234
    Matilda1234 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you for replying I just worry about money as I only worked part time anyways but I just don’t think with the voices I’ll be able to continue its very confusing looking online a lcaw and support group.. I’ve just applied for pip as didn’t know you could get help with day to day but thats seems like a long and gruelling process. I have applied with a help of a charity but a bag of nerves as waiting for assessment 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,664 Disability Gamechanger
    New style ESA pays £74.70 (over 25's) per week so it's less than SSP pays. If you're evetually placed into the Support Group money will then increase to £114.10 per week from the 14th week of your claim.

    You should really claim the SSP before claiming ESA and you shouldn't just quite working before getting some expert advice.

    As previously advised, claiming New Style ESA will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years and by the time you claim it will be tax years 2019/20 and 20/21 because the tax year for claiming benefits changes in January.

    In the meantime use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit or if you're unable to do this you should get a full benefits check from an advice agency near you. https://advicelocal.uk/


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.