Copendant to independent. Any tips on sheltered accommodation? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Copendant to independent. Any tips on sheltered accommodation?

Taliesen Community member Posts: 49 Connected
Hi long story short was with lo g term partner we broke up...on housing list just wait upon confirmation...I'm a vulnerable adult with complexed mental health...soon we will put bills in to my name instead of his...when confirmation comes through it will be for sheltered accommodation...I am anxious and very scared....he moves out in February next yr...I dont know what the next steps need to be as this is new waters for me....any advice in general or about sheltered accommodation would be nice.


  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,462 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Taliesen :) 

    Have you been in contact with your local council about the sheltered accommodation you may be placed in? From what I've read, they can vary in terms of the support provided, and the rules for living there. 

    The NHS website says:
    Sheltered housing

    Sheltered housing is for people who are normally able to live quite independently, but need occasional help or support.

    Often, sheltered housing will have a warden who you can call in an emergency, as well as other security features like emergency alarm systems.

    Sheltered housing properties may also have communal facilities such as a laundry, lounge and garden, as well as offering social activities and events.

    The level of support on offer varies depending on the individual scheme.

    Sheltered housing may be provided by your local council, or you can buy or rent a property privately.

    Make sure to check whether:
    • there's a service charge and if so, how much it is
    • there are any rules that could impact you, such as rules on keeping pets
    GOV.UK: contact your local council to find out about sheltered housing schemes in your area
    Although it's aimed at those aged over 55, you might also find this Age UK page on sheltered accommodation helpful to read.

    How are you feeling generally about the prospect of moving into sheltered accommodation? Is that what you want? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.
  • Taliesen
    Taliesen Community member Posts: 49 Connected
    @Tori_Scope hi yh I've spoken to both councils here and where I'm moving to and it was agreed I would need sheltered accommodation.. due to seizures and complexed mental health...


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.