Pip assessment. Upsetting question asked about suicide - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment. Upsetting question asked about suicide

Comments

• debr
    debr Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Thank you for the reply I appreciate what they have to do but it’s like you said it’s about having the extra support and needs 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure any of us 'want' the benefits?  That makes it sound like a reward rather than a necessity to afford the costs of life.

Of course a person wants to claim the benefits, if they didn’t they wouldn’t claim in the first place. No one is forced to claim anything they don’t want to. I’m sure there’s many people that would happily give the benefits back so they could have better health, myself included. Sadly that’s not possible and it is what it is. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @debr How is your daughter doing now? These questions can be really upsetting and quite confronting, especially when asked outside of a medical setting. 
    Unfortunately they are important for the HCP to get an idea of your daughter's current frame of mind. Not just for the assessment purpose but in terms of safeguarding and understanding risk. 

Was this the first assessment your daughter has had? I'm sorry you both found it so difficult, you're definitely not alone with that. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Rick753
    Rick753 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    "In effect people object to the question because they feel a HCP is somehow not qualified to ask and that simply isn’t true. "
    That's comparing apples with oranges. The true health-care worker - a patient's GP, CPN or the like, actually cares about the patient.
    The Atos/Capita person, on the other hand, couldn't care less. More to the point, they are not in a doctor/patient relationship with their assessee and by no means are they holding them in a safe, therapeutic space where they might explore the topic in a sensitive manner with a view to treatment or support.
    In what sense is a physiotherapist, for example, trained to explore suicidal ideation?
    When I was asked that same question by an Atos 'HCP' (sic) I replied simply 'Yes, whenever I think of people like you'. That was the end of that topic.

• debr
    I agree it’s a question that when asked there’s some sort of discussion to make the person feel at ease not thanks next question 
  • Rick753
    edited November 2021
    [removed by moderator - personal attack]
    What is interesting is your clear positioning on the matter. If you think that the crass insensitivities of the Atos/Capita HCPs,(sic), reading from the Unum algorithm, are the actions of a caring health professional then all I can say is I am glad I am not you.
    You keep saying 'It's that simple' which in my experience generally means the opposite. This is a complex, complicated topic which has been subject to banal reductionisms for purposes of profit maximisation. That's not really in doubt these days.
    As to your supposition that what I said once to an assessor was "abuse" - how extraordinarily insulting!
    Where in my comment did I say that what I said was untrue? I meant every word.
    [removed by moderator - personal attack] It wasn't 'abuse', Mike. In this case it really is that simple.

• debr
    I just feel that asking such a delicate question deserves more than thanks next question how would you feel like a pile of rubbish if your going to be honest I’m blaming the system how these assessments are carried out 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I fully understand why some people feel that the assessments aren't carried out as they would like them to be, however that begs the question how would people like them to be done? Sometimes a question might appear to be crass or insensitive but the HCP is at the end of the day there to assess how the client is affected by the problems they face so they can write a report that best reflects exactly that.
    These assessments are so entrenched in the system that I see no prospect of change.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rick753
    edited November 2021
    More nonsense, but I'll leave it here. [removed by moderator]
  • Rick753
    "I just feel that asking such a delicate question deserves more than thanks next question "
    Couldn't agree more. But the alleged "HCP" isn't there to treat you like a person, debr.
    When I explained my version of that view to the CPN with whom I was in the assessment room they went silent and when I asked if they felt they were complicit in the misery produced by the utterly discredited assessment system which couldn't happen without people like them they replied, Yes, I am.
    Unusually articulate and honest, that one was.
  • Rick753
    "how would people like them to be done?"
    How about humanely, with the person treated as a person and not as a profit centre to be squeezed?
    See the Scottish Government's replacement of PIP with Adult Disability Payment for practical applications and the replacement of Atos/Crapita with a better system.
    The heart of that is the SG's view that "The [new] regulations form the foundation for a new relationship between disabled people and the social security system."
    Assessments will be carried out as a last resort, not as a default, and there will be noinvolvement of private outsourcing companies (see above):

"There will be no DWP style assessments to access disability assistance under the new Scottish social security system."

and

"Decisions will be made using information gathered through the applications process including from health care providers. Should more detail be required to make decisions on an application for the new Adult Disability Payment, it will be gathered through a consultation. Such consultations will be based on a conversation between a healthcare professional employed by the Scottish Government and the client. There will be no private sector involvement in this process."

https://www.gov.scot/news/stop-to-traumatic-disability-assessments/ 

That would be a start, would it not?

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited November 2021
    @Adrian_Scope I have reported posts on this thread that are abusive but it's still open?
  • debr
    Anyway it’s over now and I am so proud of my daughter for holding everything together even though she was holding back tears throughout most of it 
  • Rick753
    "Anyway it’s over now and I am so proud of my daughter for holding everything together even though she was holding back tears throughout most of it"
    Well that's good to hear @debr. Best of luck to her in getting something out of a system that is designed to be degrading.

• debr
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry your daughter's PIP assessment was so distressing, especially when, & after, suicide was mentioned.
    I can only repeat part of Adrian_Scope's post,
    ''Unfortunately they are important for the HCP to get an idea of your daughter's current frame of mind. Not just for the assessment purpose but in terms of safeguarding and understanding risk.''
    Mike has also said why considering your daughter's well-being as far as suicide goes (always a difficult subject, but one that needs acknowledging) is a safeguarding issue.
    We've had discussions before about how some with mental health issues feel let down by the PIP health care professional's assessments. I've queried how do the DWP recruit mental health nurses to do such assessments? I've also said that, & I appreciate this is just my personal opinion, how would I get an assessor that understood my particular set of problems? And I feel that that would be the case for many of us having more than one disorder, or a complex one.
    The system is not 'designed to be degrading,' tho many of us may feel embarrassed/upset in describing our issues; it's sometimes difficult to realise how badly you're affected. But that's what the health care professionals try to find out.....literally how your disability affects your daily life. At that point in time they are there to 'assess,' & no presumptions can be made that they don't also 'care.'
    The majority of people who have had replied on your thread @debr are here because they care, & have also tried to explain.
  • debr
    Yeah I know and I get it honestly I do I do not blame the assessors I blame the system there has to be a better way for both parties surely it is a job I know but this system is belittling and humiliating for anyone 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thread closed, pending review.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all,

I've reopened this thread as the discussion has largely remained civil, and so that @debr can share any other thoughts and updates with us if they wish. We will of course close it if a constructive discussion is no longer being had.

Discussions around suicide are always going to provoke strong reactions, as it's such a sensitive topic. Everyone's bound to have different opinions and experiences, so it's important that we all remain respectful of where other people are coming from. 

Regarding the speed of our response @Cressida, reports were made about the thread after I'd left for the day at 6pm. This is why we've reviewed it this morning. 

I definitely think you should feel proud of your daughter for getting through it @debr, despite her finding the process quite upsetting. How is she feeling now? You may also be interested in a campaign Scope are running at the moment called 'benefits without the fight'.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • debr
    Tori she’s a lot better thank you it was too much for me so I can only imagine what it was like for her but it is great to know she is not the only one that has had these questions asked in the assessment she said she thought that the assessor was trying to upset her and cancel the assessment because everyone I tried to explain and help her I got told I had to be quiet or she would stop the assessment 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.