My sons have ASC, ADHD, and mental health problems. What benefits are they entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My sons have ASC, ADHD, and mental health problems. What benefits are they entitled to?

Coco_J Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I'd just like to know what benefits my sons of 19 and 21 should be entitled to. They both have ASC and one ADHD, are quite burnt out, both suffering  from mental health problems in various degrees and therefore not able to work at the moment. They've signed up for universal credit, ones been assessed and placed into the protective category, the other is awaiting his health assessment. They are receiving a basic rate, should this not change? We have applied for pip (early September) but have had no reply as yet. 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,914 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    To get extra money they need to be awarded lcwra if they are awarded they will get the additional £343 from the 4th full assessment period after reporting the medical condition provided fit note has been supplied 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    Universal Credit has replaced all the old benefits and PIP has replaced DLA. There’s no other benefits they would be entitled to. A PIP claim can take about 10 months from the date you apply to the date of the decision. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 6,686

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @Coco_J :) It's great to have you on board. 

    I hope that poppy123456 and janer1967's comments have helped to clear that up for you. 

    Are your sons receiving enough support to help them manage their conditions, and to help them cope with their mental health problems? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.