Can anyone help with a 2nd attempt at dla claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can anyone help with a 2nd attempt at dla claim?

these4walls Member Posts: 8 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, 2 years ago I filled in a claim form for dla. I have panic disorder and severe agoraphobia. I’ve had these problems for many years and have gradually got worse and worse and I’m almost housebound now, except for certain familiar places ( only if they are ‘safe’ with more than 1 exit).
it took me ages to fill in the form. I have a foggy brain and it’s hard to focus, I guess from adrenaline being pumped around from daily panic attacks. Anyway, eventually send it off. An inspector came to my house as I am unable to travel to somewhere. 
I was scored 0 points and actually ridiculed on the reply. I’ve saved the letter but only been able to read it once. I
was devastated to read it. I’d put off applying for dla for a long time, it was like a last resort to me. I wasn’t strong enough to appeal and at the time I didn’t think I’d be around to need to worry about it any more.
But here I am. I want to apply again but it’s so daunting. Is there anywhere I can get help with this?


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Can I assume that you mean PIP and not DLA ?
    Yes you can get help, see if you can get an appointment with either CAB or welfare rights, but keep in mind that PIP is not awarded because of your condition but how it affects your daily living and/or mobility, it's quite likely that after applying you will have an assessment either by phone or face2face and that the process from start to finish can take upto 10 months due to massive backlogs.
    Be kind to newer members
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,571 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA no longer exists for those aged between 16 and state pension. It's now called PIP. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    We can advise you how to claim and the best way to fill out the form but we can physically help with filling out the forms.
    When you receive the form you need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. (without telling your life story)
    For each descriptor that applies you should add at least 2 real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Do be aware that they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. The onus is on you to prove you qualify, not their's.
    Have a read of this.
    You should expect an assessment, which most are done through telephone, some people are now starting to attend face to face assessments and an assessment centre.
    If the worst happens again and you're refused then i'd advise you to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal.
    To constantly re-apply using the same evidence again could see another refusal so challenging the decision is the best way, if you're certain you qualify.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,284 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    I presume you mean pip rather than dla as dla has been replaced by pip 

    You could try and get support from cab or welfare rights but I think they may only get involved in appeals 

    Cab do sometimes help with form completing 

    Some charities also may help suggest you look at any charities that specialise in the condition you suffer from 
  • these4walls
    these4walls Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Yes sorry I meant pip. Do welfare rights and cab do these appointments by phone? As I won’t be able to get anywhere. Yes my daily living (living? I barely exist) is affected and I don’t have mobility as I’m unable to go very far without panic or fear of getting stuck in traffic. 
    I had a face to face assessment last time. The assessor was pleasant enough whilst here but then went on to give me the 0 points. I’m suffering and I really would like help. 
  • these4walls
    these4walls Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thanks for the replies. I’ll get another form sent out and try again. I’m almost  scared to do it as it almost broke me last time. I spent weeks filling out the form, my experiences are vast of my problems but I tried to narrow it down. It’s so difficult to fill in regarding mental issues isn’t it. 
    I’m unable to go to my gp as the surgery has locked doors now which is a no for me. 
    Ok I’ll send for the form then look into it more. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,571 Disability Gamechanger
    They do help with filling out forms, if you can get an appointment within the timecale the form needs to be returned by. To be honest, the best person to fill out the form is yourself because you are the only person that knows exactly how your conditions affect you. There's no specific wording you need to use, just give those real world examples as advised above.
  • these4walls
    these4walls Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thanks. I filled it out myself last time, I dug up many past experiences and it messed with my mind to do so. And I still got the response that I got so I’m worried that I’m doing something wrong. 
    It’s nice to feel that there’s help and advice on here.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,765 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Thanks. I filled it out myself last time, I dug up many past experiences and it messed with my mind to do so. 
    Bear in mind that even if you get help with the form they can only write down what you tell them so you will still need to fully explain your difficulties and dig up past examples of how you are affected.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.