smart tech for cooker/hob and cameras to get notification to daughter leaving/entering home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

smart tech for cooker/hob and cameras to get notification to daughter leaving/entering home

kbass
kbass Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi i am looking for smart tech for cooker /hob and cameras for habitable rooms and notification of adult daughter entering or leaving the home.  we live alone together.  social services are promoting her independence suggesting i can leave her alone to build up her independence but i am lost in how much tech there is and i dont want to get incompatible.  the idea of course being i want to see on my phone while i am away from home but she is at home alone
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kbass and welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I'm not sure of any particular equipment to suggest off the top of my head. I've tagged your discussion as 'unanswered', hopefully someone else here will be able to offer a more knowledgeable response.

If not, I can do some research and find out what I can for you. 
    I'm sure most parents can say "the worry never goes away" no matter how independent your children are, and it's a sign that you obviously care very much about your daughter. It's great that social services are encouraging her independence, can you share what has prompted that?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kbass
    Alex. Thanks for responding to my forum post.  Alice’s main issue is learning difficulties with infrequent night seizures.  She is vulnerable in public but quite self sufficient at home.  Don’t get me wrong she could make a roast or lasagne but can fry bacon.  Make a toastie and could probably do a jacket spud.  Any level of independence done safely allows her to lead a more fulfilling life.  We are trialing it so I can leave the house for short periods of time for work or who know pleasure purposes.  Obviously to be built up gradually.  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kbass

Have you looked into the Nest and Ring devices? I know for sure that they can link in with other smart home gadgets like Google Nest Speakers or Alexa devices, and you can often view those cameras through your phone on an app. Some providers do generally have a subcription where you can access features like face recognition too.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • kbass
    I have looked yes but I’m bambozzled by it all.  It’s like I need some tech person to design it for me. ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    kbass said:
    I have looked yes but I’m bambozzled by it all.  It’s like I need some tech person to design it for me. ?
    I get what you mean, it can be difficult to get your head around some of it. I would recommend looking at some guides / reviews / tutorials on YouTube, that normally helps me with a techy purchase.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • dmilner
    dmilner Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2022
    HI, we can help, all you need is a basic Cctv camera (on the internet), set up an area where movement will be monitored and as and when people leave in / out it can send you a warning / notification. [removed by moderator- advertising].
  • LinaWright
    LinaWright Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Do you think it would be humane towards your daughter? I don’t think so. I deeply understand your concern, but I don’t think it would be normal to keep an eye on your daughter in such a way. I think you should trust her and give her more independence as the social service told you. If you still can’t do it, you can look for some smart home devices.
  • helenbolland
    helenbolland Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hello,

I am having such a system designed for my new house. There are companies out there who design and install if you PM me I can give you the details of who I will be using. A lot of these things yo can actually design and set up for yourself, but when things go wrong I feel it’s better to have someone who is employed to remotely access your system to fix it. You wont get this with off the shelf products. Housing Associations now have these systems in a lot of their disabled homes. Your first port of call should be your local Telecare or Telehealth for an assessment. They are usually linked to social services or if you rent from a housing association they will have one. Now these can put in a basic system, but you are probably going to have to self fund or get a grant for what you require as most of the Telecare devices currently rely on a traditional phone line and we are currently in the process of changing to digital, which may affect their equipment.

If you want to get off the shelf products, here is what I recommend:

* smart phone and watch
    * Yale conexis smart door lock
    * Yale motion sensors
    * Ring doorbell
    * Induction hob
    * Echo show devices

These devices can all be linked together via your smart phone and the Echo devices. You can create "rules" in the settings such as being notified when someone approaches the front door, which sends a video to your iPhone. You can then get notified when the door is locked and unlocked and even by whom if you have multiple accesses. Then when the threshold is crossed you will get a notification. You can use the Alexa app to connect to the Echo devices which have a camera, so you can "drop in" from your phone to check out what is happening, you can even have a conversation through it. If your daughter needs prompting to take medication etc, you can set this up on the Echo device and the phone and watch. Induction hobs are expensive, but if your daughter is at risk of leaving food cooking on the hob and forgetting about it, it automatically switches off after no movement for a set amount of minutes. You can use the location services on the phone and watch to keep an eye on where she is.

AbilityNet is a really good organisation to get in touch with. Depending on where you live they can provide free tech advice and set up phones, watches, computers etc to suit the needs of your daughter, so for instance I rely on dictation and some voice commands when I can't use my left hand. They are brilliant and can probably tell you much more than what I have. 

I hope this helps you. I know it must be hard letting go and watching your daughter gain her independence, she will find her way, there is lots of support out there.

• helenbolland
    helenbolland Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I understand what you are saying, but there needs to be a careful review of what monitoring is required to ensure her safety and enable her independence. So they will need to have a frank discussion with her support worker/OT and questions such as, is she likely to forget she has food cooking which could cause a fire? Would she allow a stranger to enter the house? How vulnerable is she on her own? Etc. Selective use of Telecare and digital devices can ensure that she can remain safe at home, which enables her independence whilst also ensuring her right to privacy. It's a thin line to walk, and its all about balance and maybe some compromise. It doesn't have to happen all at once it can be done in stages as she gains confidence, and learns life skills which then the technology in place can be altered to reflect. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.