Smart Homes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Smart Homes

Options
JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
I find myself going down a 'Hey Google" route to create a Smart Home to bow and obey my every voice command  B)

I would love to hear others' experiences, tips, advice on creating a home controlled by voice.  What devices are you using?  Any particular difficulties or devices to avoid?
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got alexa it's good for music and if your stuck on  certain questions. Personally if I were to buy 1, I wouldn't go with alexa, music speakers are good, but if you want certain songs you have to subscribe. Google seems to have more knowledge, if I ask alexa when next bus is, I get, I don't know that. Ask Google and its the time it's due and where to catch it, plus you don't need to subscribe for music.  There's lots of things alexa doesn't know when ive asked. Plus 1 night started talking to herself with noone in the room and no one commanding her too. Freaky.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use Google speakers, it has made certain tasks so much quicker compared to the many taps it might take on a phone, and even something as simple as having access to radio stations is brilliant.

In terms of connected devices, I haven't delved much into that yet beyond a plug and a doorbell, but I do want to get some lights one day.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.