Hi, my name is Ruth_ No college in our area provides learner support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ruth_ No college in our area provides learner support

Ruth_
Ruth_ Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Education
I am hoping to find information, my daughter 27 is attending an access course at college but it appears no college in our area provides learner support on adult courses. Is there anyone who has had experience of this and where did you go for support?  I believe if she were at a university there would be all sorts of support available to her.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ruth_ and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that there is a shortage of support out there for your daughter, it's good that you are doing everything you can to find some. 

Have you come across IPSEA? That's the Independent Provider of Special Educational Advice, and they may be able to offer some advice for your situation.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ruth_
    Thank you, I have messaged them.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Ruth_ said:
    Thank you, I have messaged them.
    Good good, hopefully they get back to you soon :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ruth_

Thanks for reaching out to us. How have things been for your daughter since this post? 

I am just wondering if you or your daughter have tried to talk to the SEN team within your daughter's college? They may be able to ensure support is in place. 

Indeed, if your daughter was at university, there would be the Disabled Student Allowance scheme which might be worth keeping in mind if your daughter wishes to progress to university  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Ruth_
    Hi @L_Volunteer
    Thank you for your message.
    The issue is there is no SEN provision for Adults in college education (my daughter is 27) we have found this at two colleges, one providing a day time access course and one providing an evening access course.
    It would appear that they are not used to people requiring support applying and I am wondering now if those people are put off initially.  I am not sure how people in her position can get to university where you rightly say there is so much support available.
    One of the colleges did even know they were not able to provide support as they provide support to younger students! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ruth_

Thanks for your response. I am really sorry to hear you have experienced this. As someone with autism spectrum disorder who has also studied Access to Higher Education, I particularly benefited from my teachers spending more time with me discussing ideas. I also received some assessment adjustments - e.g. presenting to smaller audiences. I also had access to the autism support room in the college.

That could be because I had stayed with the same college I spent my adolescence in so the support largely just continued but I would recommend talking to the college SEN team if possible. Whilst your daughter, unfortunately, is not able to access an EHCP due to her age (past 25), the college still has a legal duty to provide reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act (2010). Though it is of course subjective as to how reasonable adjustments are defined and this would only be navigated through discussion.

If there's anything I can do personally to support you and your daughter, please don't hesitate to let me know!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.