Transition from ESA(IR) Support Group - State Pension /Pension Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transition from ESA(IR) Support Group - State Pension /Pension Credit

Options
userinfo1
userinfo1 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Could someone please advise I am helping a person with there Pension and Pension Credits.

The person has received a letter from the DWP to invite them to apply for there State Pension as will hit the age in a few months time.

However I am very confused on when to apply;

State Pension : - I understand can be applied up to 3 months prior to hitting retirement age.

Pension Credit:- This is the one I am confused about. Can you apply for Pension Credit up to 3 months prior to hitting Pension age or have to hit the age and then apply for it.

I am just concerned and you know what the DWP are like that before anything gets sorted that the current ESA(IR) Support Group payments get messed around with before the person hits pension age  or that they come back and decline Pension Credit as technically is not on State Pension until a few months time.

When would you advise to apply for the State Pension and then apply for Pension Credit? The person can ill afford to be messed around with money?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.