UC50 form help. How many points does saying 'it varies' get? Should I do a diary? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC50 form help. How many points does saying 'it varies' get? Should I do a diary?

ali5000
ali5000 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I’m feeling very overwhelmed by the UC50 form. a lot of my questions are “it varies” and I’m not sure how many points saying it varies gets? I know I have to provide extras information. Should I do a diary and does any one have any tips for this? Many thanks 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ali5000

Sorry to hear that the form is causing you some stress. I think a diary sounds like a great idea, I've not done one myself personally but perhaps you could look on your phone for an app designed for such a purpose and use that daily. You could pay close attention to the challenges you have in relation to the descriptors and log them as you go.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For LCWRA it's not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the descriptors. See link.
    What you should do is add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
    The points scoring is for LCW only.
    Some people advise doing a diary but personally, i never have.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    poppy123456 said: Some people advise doing a diary but personally, i never have. 
    I think the point of a diary can be to help someone remind themself of the difficulties they experience because it's very easy to get used to managing things so they become 'normal' for that person.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: Some people advise doing a diary but personally, i never have. 
    I think the point of a diary can be to help someone remind themself of the difficulties they experience because it's very easy to get used to managing things so they become 'normal' for that person.

Yes indeed, i agree. I just haven't done one myself, i wasn't saying they shouldn't do the diary. Totally agree that many people just manage the way they always have (myself included)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ali5000
    ali5000 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    thank you both. Just finding it so hard to face all my problems and limitations and put them down on paper when my whole life is trying by best to get by
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's understandable @ali5000. It can feel daunting to write about the problems you face, and some people find it can make them feel quite vulnerable. 

Citizens Advice have some information relating to keeping a diary for an ESA capability for work form, which might still be helpful in understanding how to keep a diary:
    You might find it hard to describe a normal day if your symptoms change or are worse on some days than others.

The DWP want to know what you can do most days. Think about:
    • what you usually expect to do in a day
    • what you can do on bad days - and how often they happen
    • what you can do on good days - and how often they happen
    Try to keep a diary before you send the form, so it’s easier to see what you usually do. Keep the diary for 1 or 2 weeks if you have time, but don’t delay sending the form. You can send more information afterwards if you need to.

Before you start the diary, check the form to find out what activities and situations it asks about.

Make a list of the ones you find difficult - for example if it’s hard to carry things or talk to people you don’t know. Use the list when you fill in the diary - this will make it easier to answer the questions on the form.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.