Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Being a Carer
Hi everybody, my name is Fahmida and carer for my older sister. I have been carer since my mid-teens to now. My older sister has severe mental health issues with depressive and anxiety disorder. She has been diagnosed when she was 17 and began at 14. She is 26 years old and is part time university student. My older sister is fully self aware of her condition and supports me with helping her condition, I mostly support her with emotional and physical needs when her mental health is goes really bad and needs extra assistance. Now, she is really weak and unwell as because she starting to deal with issues and trauma she has been avoiding for past 10 years. I want advice on how to encourage her to develop good habits and coping mechanism to better assist like personal hygiene, grooming, encouraging her to open about her feelings to people about her life and past etc. We have applied for PPI and waiting for a decision to come through so I can apply for carer allowance also apply for carer grant as while.
- 49.4K All Categories
- 9.8K Start here and say hello!
- 4.1K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 136 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 660 Work and employment
- 527 Education
- 970 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 927 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 245 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 249 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.5K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.5K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 588 Chronic pain and pain management
- 650 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 704 Autism and neurodiversity
- 848 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.