My condition has worsened since I was awarded. Can I try for enhanced rate, or do I have to wait? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My condition has worsened since I was awarded. Can I try for enhanced rate, or do I have to wait?

gaynorwishes Member Posts: 5 Connected
edited November 21 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I would like help with this question pls. I have been awarded standard rate PIP early on in the year. But if my condition has worsened. Since my award..I have had a wet room fitted by social services. Would I be able to try for the enhanced PIP or can you not do it until the award ends in 2023? Thank you for reading 


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,842 Disability Gamechanger
    You can do it whenever you want but your condition worsening is not a change of circumstances unless it would lead to you scoring enough points to move from standard to enhanced. So you need to score between 1 and 4 points depending on your current score, which will be between 8 and 11. You need to identify which specific points you might score before even thinking about picking up the phone. To not do so would be a terrible mistake. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,839 Disability Gamechanger
    Having a wet room means nothing at all for PIP because even people that don't have a health condition have wet rooms.
    A worsening of condition should never be reported until expert advice has been given from an advice agency near you. Just because your condition is worse this doesn't mean you can score more points for a higher award and you risk losing what you already have by reporting changes.
    Start here, put your postcode in and choose the topic "welfare benefits"


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.