LCWRA back pay letter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA back pay letter

onemillion
onemillion Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, 
so I had I sent my form of for LCWRA on 22nd of March 2021 had my assesment 9 Nov 2021 and got awarded LCWRA on 10 Nov and received my first payment on 18th witch was brilliant but out of curiosity when I had the award letter there was a mention on that after the 3 month assessment period  there would be backdated money and the decision on if I was due any would be in my journal in 7 days ( I know because of backlog they are busy) I have handed in sick notes with no gaps since 22nd of March so I chased it up (8th working day)but they seem to act clueless on the phone?? As if they don’t know the meaning of backdated payments The staff on the phone kept re directing the question to my statement (unrelated to the arrear payment)and no response on my journal I’m getting nowhere has anyone else has this experience just curious to know if they are trying to refrain from backpaying people and just giving the initial monthly payment? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    It's the result of poor training and therefore a lack of understanding.
    You say you sent off the LCWRA form on 22nd march and provided Fit Notes since then also. When did you first report your health condition and provide Fit Notes?
    LCWRA element is payable from the fourth complete assessment period after you first reported the health condition.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • onemillion
    calcotti said:
    It's the result of poor training and therefore a lack of understanding.
    You say you sent off the LCWRA form on 22nd march and provided Fit Notes since then also. When did you first report your health condition and provide Fit Notes?
    LCWRA element is payable from the fourth complete assessment period after you first reported the health condition.
    It was all done on the 22nd of March fit note and declaring my health condition, i feel like I’m being rude asking them about the back pay as I’ve had my first payment from them and that’s all they keep referring to, so do I read between the lines and take that as I’m not due any back payment?
  • calcotti
    edited November 2021
    If you are paid on 18th of month that means your assessment period is 12th to 11th of the month.

You reported your health condition in March to April.
    You are entitled to the LCWRA element for July to August which would have been paid on 18th August.

You are therefore owed LCWRA for August, September and October.

Post a message:
    I reported my health condition to you on 22nd March. I understand that I am entitled to the LCWRA element from the fourth complete assessment period following that date. I calculate my entitlement to the LCWRA element commences with my August payment. Please confirm when I can expect to receive the arrears so am owed.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • onemillion
    calcotti said:
    What date do you get paid on?
    18th of every month assesment period 11th-12th 
  • calcotti
    calcotti said:
    What date do you get paid on?
    18th of every month assesment period 11th-12th 
    Spotted that from an earlier post and revised my post accordingly, cross posted with your response.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @onemillion thanks for joining the forum. I hope calcotti's advice has been useful, and I'm sorry you were met with confusion by staff over the phone.

Do keep us updated with how you get on, hopefully it's a positive outcome :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • onemillion
    Hi @onemillion thanks for joining the forum. I hope calcotti's advice has been useful, and I'm sorry you were met with confusion by staff over the phone.

Do keep us updated with how you get on, hopefully it's a positive outcome :)
    Hi I just spoke to someone who made a bit more sense they told me that my arrear money will be in with my next monthly payment in December , but I always thought back payments and arrear payments were a separate to UC payments?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You are right back pay is paid separately 

Unfortunately when you call uc you are put through to a call centre and the call handlers are not always accurate with their advice . They are primarily there for admin not advice 

Back pay can take a while as an indication if you look at your statement on on line for the months you are expecting backpay once they have been changed to include the additional payment then they have recalculated your back pay 

They then put this into payment which needs checking for any outstanding debt to dwp then authorised and then clear in your bank 
  • HJP290
    HJP290 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hii wondering when the back payment was actually send iv just my boyfriend jusg been awarded it by uc just before we was going to court they changed there descion 

they said he would get all the back pay he was owed from last 3 years . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HJP290 said:
    Hii wondering when the back payment was actually send iv just my boyfriend jusg been awarded it by uc just before we was going to court they changed there descion 

they said he would get all the back pay he was owed from last 3 years . 

If it was a Tribunal decision then it often takes anything up to 8 weeks, sometimes longer to pay any money that's owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HJP290
    @poppy123456

Hi poppy no was UC they changed descion before we went to court after looking at evidence we provided to tribunal :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not a court, it's a Tribunal. Money owed can still take a few weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HJP290
    edited January 2022
    @poppy123456 Got phone call this morning and just got message be in by 8pm tonight over 11 thousand pound were made up :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.