Recruiting PAs/Carers — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Recruiting PAs/Carers

JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 66 Connected
edited November 23 in Coffee lounge
Are you having difficulty recruiting new PAs/Carers?
Are you finding it difficult to find PAs/Carers that are double vaxed?
Have you been abused by potential applicants questioning your choice to only consider 'fully vaxed' people?
Where are you advertising?
I am a Scope Volunteer.   I have knowledge about life! Additionally, but not limited to: living with a disability, employing personal assistants (requiring 24x7 care), education (having reached PhD level), sexuality (being gay) managing relationships having a disability (tricky), technology and assistive technology (being a geek), sport & leisure (being a Paralympian and on various committees whose purpose is to maximise inclusion at all levels), mental health (both through personal experience and supporting others), Arsenal Football Club (a necessary part of life).  If I can't help, I will endeavour to find somebody who can.

"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you'll ever know." - Winnie The Pooh

Comments

• Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,464

Scope community team

Thank you for asking this question @JustPete, hopefully other members will be willing to share their experience. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 66 Connected
    Hope so..........the situation is ridiculous at the moment.  But look forward to people chipping in here.
    I am a Scope Volunteer.   I have knowledge about life! Additionally, but not limited to: living with a disability, employing personal assistants (requiring 24x7 care), education (having reached PhD level), sexuality (being gay) managing relationships having a disability (tricky), technology and assistive technology (being a geek), sport & leisure (being a Paralympian and on various committees whose purpose is to maximise inclusion at all levels), mental health (both through personal experience and supporting others), Arsenal Football Club (a necessary part of life).  If I can't help, I will endeavour to find somebody who can.

"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and loved more than you'll ever know." - Winnie The Pooh
  • rednax
    rednax Member Posts: 26 Connected
    I don't think it's right to insist upon double vaxed as it's meaningless. What matters is how recently they were jabbed, because it's no more a vaccine than the winter flu jab. Until a full virus vaccine is created (like we vaccine with everything else) then all this does is play perpetual catch up with the most dominant variant. 

The only way out of this is either a whole virus vaccine, or enough people have gained natural immunity though having contracted the virus, to enable herd immunity.
    Even then, it's going to keep coming back every winter like the flu, which itself is what is left over from the 1918-1920 Spanish flu.   Eventually after a couple of decades covid will become less dangerous than it currently is to nearly all but the elderly, and will most likely replace winter flu as the dominant respiratory disease. 

Unfortunately this also means that insisting people have vaccine after vaccine just makes that transition slower as it gives covid the time it needs to continue bouncing around the population until it mutates again, needing a new type of jab. This is also why the winter flu needs a new jab every year for the most vulnerable due to the mutations, so if people are insisting upon others having covid jabs, they should also be insisting upon said people having a flu jab too. 

People have a right to not be in a cycle of perpetual state mandated injections for illnesses of no real threat to them just as much as you have a right to not employ anyone as a carer or PA who isn't up to date with various vaccines, so by making that insistence you must also be prepared to accept that you may end up with no carer or PA at all.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.