Pip assessment

jameseli Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Ok, so I am going to be honest here, when I was a child I was abused by my father, I now have some mental health issues, my mother tried to kill herself a few times.. I applied for pip for other reasons, but various things came up..anyway in the report the woman said if Jane not my real name could change things she would….I’m so upset we’ll that’s not the word I was 10, how could I change things I was little, I have only this year at the age of 56 had one to one councillor who spent a lot of time reassuring me it wasn’t me who did wrong now I feel rubbish 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,297 Championing
    I'm sure there's a lot of people here that would change the way they are, if they could, i know i certainly would. Try not to get yourself upset because of what's written in that report.
    This is one of many reasons why it's not always the best idea to request a copy of the report because it causes more anxiety than is needed. The report is a recommendation based on their opinion of everything you sent, as well as what you said during the assessment.
    The decision maker should look at everything you sent, as well as the report before making the decision.
  • jameseli
    jameseli Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Thank you but I’m now just wishing I hadn’t opened a can of worms I feel as if it was my fault I know deep down it wasn’t but by what she said in the report I feel she thought I could have changed things, now I’m feeling like could I have changed it
  • jameseli
    jameseli Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    What I am trying to say is, if I was drunk and got into a car and killed somebody well that would be my fault and I would wish I could change that because I am the person who did that…I have control of that…I had no control of what happened to me.. so wishing is not in my control if that makes sense
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hi @jameseli I'm really sorry to hear what you've been going through, and about what's happened in the past. Well done for reaching out and being honest, that's very brave. 

    It might be difficult to talk about here, but if you're comfortable, can I ask if the abuse was ever reported? And is your mother receiving any support for her mental health at the moment?

    I'm glad to hear you've had a counsellor, do you still get support from them now? I hope that it was helpful for you, and as they have said you are not in the wrong. 

    There are some great organisations you can go to for support, especially for someone to just listen. You can call Samaritans (116 123). Or take a look at support from Mind.

    Equally, if you want someone to talk to confidentially you can text 'Shout' to 85258. 
    Shout 85258 is a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.

    As our member's have said, the report is not the final say on your PIP application. Nothing has been decided yet, that's down to the decision maker. So try not to dwell on it for now, and focus on looking after yourself.

    If you feel like you could benefit from any additional support then please just say, and we'll do what we can to help. If you'd like to talk about things privately you can email us on community@scope.org.uk.

  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    Hi @jameseli :) I was just wondering how you were doing today?