Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

jameseli
jameseli Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Ok, so I am going to be honest here, when I was a child I was abused by my father, I now have some mental health issues, my mother tried to kill herself a few times.. I applied for pip for other reasons, but various things came up..anyway in the report the woman said if Jane not my real name could change things she would….I’m so upset we’ll that’s not the word I was 10, how could I change things I was little, I have only this year at the age of 56 had one to one councillor who spent a lot of time reassuring me it wasn’t me who did wrong now I feel rubbish 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I'm sure there's a lot of people here that would change the way they are, if they could, i know i certainly would. Try not to get yourself upset because of what's written in that report.
    This is one of many reasons why it's not always the best idea to request a copy of the report because it causes more anxiety than is needed. The report is a recommendation based on their opinion of everything you sent, as well as what you said during the assessment.
    The decision maker should look at everything you sent, as well as the report before making the decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jameseli
    Thank you but I’m now just wishing I hadn’t opened a can of worms I feel as if it was my fault I know deep down it wasn’t but by what she said in the report I feel she thought I could have changed things, now I’m feeling like could I have changed it
  • jameseli
    What I am trying to say is, if I was drunk and got into a car and killed somebody well that would be my fault and I would wish I could change that because I am the person who did that…I have control of that…I had no control of what happened to me.. so wishing is not in my control if that makes sense
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jameseli I'm really sorry to hear what you've been going through, and about what's happened in the past. Well done for reaching out and being honest, that's very brave. 

It might be difficult to talk about here, but if you're comfortable, can I ask if the abuse was ever reported? And is your mother receiving any support for her mental health at the moment?

I'm glad to hear you've had a counsellor, do you still get support from them now? I hope that it was helpful for you, and as they have said you are not in the wrong. 

There are some great organisations you can go to for support, especially for someone to just listen. You can call Samaritans (116 123). Or take a look at support from Mind.

Equally, if you want someone to talk to confidentially you can text 'Shout' to 85258. 
    Shout 85258 is a free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.

As our member's have said, the report is not the final say on your PIP application. Nothing has been decided yet, that's down to the decision maker. So try not to dwell on it for now, and focus on looking after yourself.

If you feel like you could benefit from any additional support then please just say, and we'll do what we can to help. If you'd like to talk about things privately you can email us on community@scope.org.uk.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jameseli :) I was just wondering how you were doing today?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.