universal credit has closed my claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

universal credit has closed my claim

jayuk
jayuk Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
I hooe i explain this right, please bare with me.
I claim esa contributions as im on the sick. My sickpay finishes this month.
I have had since last year uc account as when me and partner were together but split up, the account was never closed so when i went on half pay uc was paying a small payment to me each month. Once my esa claim got sorted i had to pay uc back .

Anyway tonight i have been stressing as ive not got any money from work as they had taken a overpayment and left me with nothing. Tonight i thought i would log on to uc as every month they have my earnings there and thought if it showed i didn't receive any earning then i might get something.

I log in to uc and there is a message saying closed date 27th Ocober
Reason
Your earnings was the same as your maximum amount your allowed to earn.

This means your universal credit is reduced to £0

Im so stressed could someone please help as i am so stressed. Will they make me do a new claim

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    If earnings reduce your UC to zero then your claim usually closes. Throughout Covid they've been keeping claims open for about 6 months if payments are reduced to zero but that may have ended now.
    If it's been less than 6 months since you had a UC payment you can reapply through your journal. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/reapply-for-universal-credit/
    If it's been more than 6 months since you had a UC payment then you will need to make a new claim. 
    I also note that you're claiming New style ESA, which is deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    Have you had a work capability assessment yet for the ESA claim? New style ESA is only paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group so please be aware of that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jayuk
    Hi poppy

Thanks for your reply
    I dont think its been 6 months since i had a payment,i will have a look on my journal.

I have filled out the esa 50 and on a waiting list for assessment just hope i pass it as i am going down the route of dismal due to ill heath.
    I feel sad that i have to go down that route but i have to look after myself mentally and physically.
    Its all scary this as i feel im depending on others :(
    Thanks again poppy for your quick reply
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there an option on your UC journal to do a 'Rapid Reclaim'. If so, do that. If there isn't you will have to make a completely new claim if you wish to claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jayuk
    Hi calcotti

I have only just seen your message and made a new claim this morning. I might give them a ring monday morning and explain what has happened, because work over payed me for 2 months so this month should of been my last half sick pay but they have taken it because of the over payment so not had any money :( . They closed my uc on 27th october but didnt receive any notification to check my journal anf only by chance went on and have upto 29th november to get in touch. Im going to ring them monday don't think it will do any good but can only try.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jayuk I'm sorry to see how stressed you've been feeling, but it's good to see you're taking steps to resolve what has happened.

It can be scary having to depend on people sometimes, but at the same time it's important to remember we are all human, and cannot do absolutely everything all of the time. I hope you find the community here a useful place to turn to when you need to :) If you can, have a chat to loved ones about how you're feeling too, lots of people find that helps ease stress and anxiety.

I hope the call tomorrow goes well, please keep us updated! As you say, you can only try. If we can help you further after that call then let us know, we're here to support you. 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Were you able to ring them today @jayuk?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • jayuk
    Thank you everyone for your support and wise words :).

I rang them and they said  because all my statements were zero that they closed my claim. I did mention that i was getting money off them till my esa contribution came through but it didn't make a difference as they amended them statements to zero. I was able to get an advance so im hoping it will see me through.

I think things are becoming real now and knowing at this moment in time i wont be able to work and trying to come to terms with it all is hard. My head is all over the place and the worrying over things is driving me mad.
    Thank you everyone for the advice
    and support.
  • jayuk
    Thankyou all for your suppport. I will
    No doubt be moaning about things very soon, so get your fingers on the key board ready.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    @jayuk don't you worry, we're hear to support you :)

I hope you find the forum useful in helping you get through any tough times, and if you need distracting for a bit, you can always head to the Coffee Lounge.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.