Want to move back in with my mum but she's on ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to move back in with my mum but she's on ESA

Options
m195
m195 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a long term health condition that means I can't work, but I have been in a long-term relationship for years where my partner supported me. However, that relationship has now broken down, and I need to find somewhere to live.  

I want to move in with my mum, but she's on ESA, housing and council tax. I cannot work, but don't currently claim anything. First of all, what would she lose if I moved in and didn't claim anything? Second of all, if I made an application for UC before moving in, then changed my address to hers, what would that change? 

Thank you for helping, this is a bit of a minefield. The last thing I want to do is cause problems for her 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,648 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Moving in with your mum will not affect any benefits you maybe entitled to. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you'll be excluded from claiming UC. If you're entitled to it then you should report your health condition when you claim and send in fit notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off. You will not be able to claim for any help with the rent when living with your mum.
    Whether your mum's benefits will be affected will depend on circumstances. Does she claim a disability benefit such as DLA care or PIP daily living? If she doesn't and you are over 25 then there will be a non dependant deduction of £15.85 per week in her housing benefit. See link. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non_dependants
    If she's currently the only adult in her house then she will also loose the 25% single person discount for her council tax.
    If your health condition affects your daily life then you can look at claiming PIP, it's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. See links. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Also, if your mother does receive a disability benefit and currently lives alone then her ESA may include a Severe Disability Premium. She will lose entitlement to this if you move in.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,648 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Also, if your mother does receive a disability benefit and currently lives alone then her ESA may include a Severe Disability Premium. She will lose entitlement to this if you move in.

Thanks for that calcotti, totally forgot to mention that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @m195 :) Thanks for joining the community, and for posting about your situation. Have the above responses helped to clear that up for you? Please do let us know if you have any further questions. 

I'm sorry to hear about the break down of your long-term relationship. I'm sure that must be very difficult to deal with. Have you been coping okay? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.