My carer accidentally spilt something on my carpet. Is it usual to claim from the care agency? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My carer accidentally spilt something on my carpet. Is it usual to claim from the care agency?

nannymaroon
nannymaroon Member Posts: 503 Pioneering
Hi everyone
I'm looking for some basic advice regarding accidental damage caused by my carer in my home.
My carer accidentally spilt something on my carpet and it's badly damaged. My home contents insurance doesn't cover it. Is it usual to claim from the care agency in such situations? I'm sure they are insured. Has anyone else had experience of this?
Thanks in advance ?
It's easier to be nice🙂
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,571 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi,
    For this to be covered on your home contents insurance, you would need accident damage cover. 
    I’d advise you to speak to the care agency to see if it’s covered but it may not be.
    Im guessing that because your carer works for an agency that you didn’t take out any insurance yourself?
    May I ask what was spilt? Have you tried using carpet/upholstery cleaner on it? 
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 2,051 Pioneering
    edited November 2021
    Hi @nannymaroon The agency should have Insurance for this, I would pursue it. Take photos of the damage and DO NOT try to clean it. Do not let the agency try to fob you off. It should be covered under the agencies Public Liability Insurance. This covers when a carer working in a clients home  spills something that damages say a carpet, and triggers a claim for the cost of repair or replacement. Let us know how you get on. Take care.
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 2,051 Pioneering
    Hi @nannymaroon If you are going to make a claim against your carers agency this needs to be done as soon as possible. Good luck.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.