Do you think this is an acceptable reason for a Budgeting Advance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think this is an acceptable reason for a Budgeting Advance?

jperalta98
jperalta98 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all. Been on UC for about 18 months now, and am on the LCWRA rates.

Had a prior budgeting advance and have since paid that off.

Recently my laptop has broken and getting it repaired is now too costly. I have sent in a message in my UC journal requesting an advance to help me get another

(I know they absolutely will not cover luxury items, but to me a laptop is essential)

I made a point of saying that due to my Anxiety and panic disorder I am unable to use and therefore do not own a mobile phone and so a laptop is needed so I can keep up with my UC account, online banking, keeping in contact with my GP and regularly renewing my prescriptions for my medications as well as participating in mental health support groups.

My question is do you think this is an acceptable reason and am I likely to be succesful? It's kinda hard for me to prove its an essential item. (I previously had a budgeting advance last September to pay for repairs on the laptop (roughly 150£) but that was approved by my work coach and since I don't have a coach any more I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jperalta98

Thanks for posting, I hope you are well.

I am unsure of how likely this is to be approved, but I would hope that if an advance was authorised for repairs on a laptop, then they might be okay with you getting a new one given how essential it is for you to manage your conditions.

Getting a new laptop sounds exciting, what brand are you looking at getting?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jperalta98
    jperalta98 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello @jperalta98

Thanks for posting, I hope you are well.

I am unsure of how likely this is to be approved, but I would hope that if an advance was authorised for repairs on a laptop, then they might be okay with you getting a new one given how essential it is for you to manage your conditions.

Getting a new laptop sounds exciting, what brand are you looking at getting?
    Thanks, Ross! I'm not even looking to buy a new one, just a good condition second hand one :)

Thanks for the reply!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.