Esa support group — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa support group

Options
Butterfliess
Butterfliess Community member Posts: 67 Connected
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a bit of advice and support, I have been on esa for a long time along (contribution based-support group)
As far as I can remember I have never be reassessed which surprises me. I am anticipating that it will come at some point. I recently spoke to pip and asked them to reassess me as some of my conditions have improved and I don’t want to claim something I am not entitled. I filled the from out and sent it back still haven’t received anything and that was August?
Will my pip reassessment bring on an esa one? I’m worried that I have made some improvements i will be in trouble? I have been honest with pip but have not contacted esa as I still am not ready for work yet. The lady who helped me fill out the pip form said that I did not need to tell esa, they will make their own decision when they choose to reassess me. 

Any advice would be much appreciated ☺️

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Being reassessed for pip won't trigger esa reassessment 

However if you get sdp for example in your esa and your PIP daily living is stopped you will lose the sdp 

If you think your improvement would mean you no longer would be in the support group then you should notify them of the change 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Butterfliess - as PIP & ESA are completely different benefits, you have been correctly advised, & you don't need to mention your change of circumstances with PIP as far as ESA goes. Altho you can be reassessed with ESA at any time, a reassessment for PIP will not trigger an ESA review.
    Unfortunately there are currently huge backlogs with PIP, so waiting since August to hear back from PIP isn't out of the ordinary, & all you can do is continue waiting.
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @chiarieds
    thank you for your reply, I was aware that there are huge backlogs and my pip reassessment would take some time, considering I was the one to start it by mentioning an improvement. I am worried that because I have told pip of an improvement but not esa this could cause me some hassle? I am still not ready for work and am working toward that. 
    Is there any way if find out when you are due to be reassessed for esa?
    thanks ☺️
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @janer1967

My opinion and DWPs opinion could be different, I feel I should still be in the support group as I continue my recovery however that may not be agreed with by them. If I was to be reassessed would I get in trouble if they thought I something different to myself ?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,633 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you know, PIP and ESA are different benefits with different criteria.  Plenty of people are only on or the other.  In theory it shouldn't trigger an ESA assessment, however, if something has improved in PIP that also entitled you to the ESA, that could cause an ESA assessment to be needed.  I'd say the chance of that is pretty low though.

I'm also not sure how over payments work in this circumstance.  Is it like backpayments so you would have been overpaid since August and have to pay that back?  Or will they just start the new reduced payments from the assessment instead and not have to pay anything back?  I'm hoping the latter.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again 

I understand there are no timescales for esa reassessment it can be anytime from 3 months after award your support group remains until a new assessment is done and new decision 

They are currently concentrating on new claims rather than reviews 

You wouldn't be in trouble if reassessed and found fit for work unless you said the improvement has been there for a significant period of time in which case they may question why you didn't inform them 

You should get expert advice before reporting any changes of condition for any benefit 
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious

But the fact that it’s taking so long is not my fault? So to have to pay back would be unreasonable. I don’t have it there to give back!?
    i hope isn’t the case as I have no idea when they will be getting around to assessing me? It could be a while yet. 
    I wonder if any one else knows how this works?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If the award is reduced following reassessment the reduction will be applied from the date of decision.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Butterfliess
    Options
    @calcotti
    Thank you, I gathered this would be the case considering how long it is taking at the moment which is out of my hands.
  • Mandy58
    Mandy58 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I had pip review and i received 10 year's back in July 2021 but my last ESA face to face was August 2019 would i still have a face to face it's now December 2021 are still doing face to face for ESA am on the old ESA system.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mandy58 said:
    I had pip review and i received 10 year's back in July 2021 but my last ESA face to face was August 2019 would i still have a face to face it's now December 2021 are still doing face to face for ESA am on the old ESA system.

There are huge backlogs for work capability assessments. Support Group is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise. If you are sent more forms for a review most assessments are by telephone but face to face have started back for some people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.