Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

I have psoriatic arthritis. I have 2 jobs, but things are worsening. I'm considering other options

fayfay Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, this is the first time I’ve done this. I’ve got psoriatic arthritis and I’ve managed for many years without medication apart from naproxen on a bad day. I tried methotrexate but i reacted badly. Rheum. Doc suggested anti tnf, but then Covid hit so nothing. I have 2 non demanding part time jobs, so I’m able to pay my bills, but as things are getting worse with my hands shoulders and wrists, I’m considering other possibilities. As I don’t know how much longer I can keep it up. I’m 56 . Any thoughts would be welcome...


  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Good morning @fayfay :)

    Welcome to the community and thank you for joining!

    I can understand why you're considering other options, given that you've gone so long without regular medication and you're currently working two part time jobs. It's great that you're thinking ahead and being proactive with things :) 

    As @Teddybear12 mentioned, are you currently on any benefits scheme? If not, Scope has some great resources and information about different benefits and what ones you might be entitled to. Please see the link here to the information about different benefits. 

    Online Community Information Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @fayfay

    Welcome to the community .

    I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your arthritis. 

    I know it is a struggle to juggle work and health as I work part time writing but there are some days where I can't work at all as I only have the one properly working finger.

    I wish I had the answer for you but I just thought I would say hello and commiserate .

    If you need benefit help there are some forum contributors who have vast experience of all benefits related matters. Another option would be to ask for reasonable adjustments at work to make juggling the job a bit easier. There is some great advice about that on the forum as well. 

    Take care 

    I am a Scope volunteer.
  • fayfay
    fayfay Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks so much for all your kind words and encouragement! I’m not on any benefits, but I’m getting Carers allowance for looking after my mum with dad also needs help so he pays me to do things for him, which is mainly a bit of shopping and cooking , babysitting mum so he can go out. I also teach a 2 hour art class most weeks. My Hubbie is on a low income as he has a small business but he does a lot to help me in the house too. So I don’t feel things are too bad compared to some people , but looking forward , teaching the art class is something I might need to drop as it’s fairly physical and involves using my hands a frustrating. Hope you are all ok and keeping warm xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,081 Disability Gamechanger
    For benefits, you can use a calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. As you live with a partner you will need to claim as a couple so you will need to put both of your details into the calculator. If your health condition limits your ability to work and you're earning less than 16xNMW per week then you will be able to report your health condition and send in fit notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off. If you're earning more than this yourself then you will need to be receiving either PIP or DLA to be referred for the work capability assessment.
    If your partner is self employed then he will be need to report earnings and expenses onto his journal at the end of each assessment period.
    As you're claiming Carers Allowance this will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. If you report being a carer then you will be entitled to the carers element as well.
    You can also look at claiming PIP for yourself, if you don't already claim this or DLA. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.