I have CP. I'm having to appeal PIP again. Is there anything else adult services can do for me? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I have CP. I'm having to appeal PIP again. Is there anything else adult services can do for me?

Lizzybell84 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello all, I have CP. its affect my right side (right Heapledia). Like everyone else who has CP its gotten worse over years.. because of this i have had to report the change about my Physical Disability, and was moved to the PIP Benefit. I've had to appeal once already because they claimed I could use both my hands. when I can't. There is other stuff, like because I'm on a low dose of anxiety medication to help me sleep, it means that I don't have Anxiety, i dont have a care plan. It was a Telephone assessment which my mum was on too, as she helped me when i got stuck. I'm having to appeal again because they don't want to award my mobility because I don't have Mobility Problems. i do have a Mobility Scooter (bought by my dad) but its right handed and i need it altered for my disability.

i currently don't work and i am back at college doing my maths and a HSC as i want to work with children with disabilities and help them with achieve thing. they even used this against me!

Other then asking for a Physical examination, is there anything else other the the doctors or Adult services (which I'm waiting for them to contact me back , i have their emergency number) i can do to help me?

thanks in advance for any help



  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 890 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    Hello @Lizzybell84

    Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

    I especially appreciate that you have already found the courage to reach out to us! I recognise how much courage it must take to reach out for support, especially for the first time! I think you have already made the first large step in recognising the difficulties you have experienced with the PIP assessment.

    How is college going for you at the moment? I think it is wonderful that you want to use your experiences to help others. 

    To know for sure what supports you can receive, you would need to speak directly to the practitioner which it sounds like you have already initiated. There is also an NHS social care needs assessment which you could apply for if you feel you need support in this area. To apply for this, you would need to contact your local council and ask for a needs assessment. You can find more information about this at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/.

    Additionally, some useful services for support with anxiety are https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/about-anxiety/ and https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/. Please also know that we believe you, we validate how you feel and we are always more than happy to listen to you. 

    Unfortunately, I do not have expertise in CP but @Richard_Scope does and I am hoping you will receive a more informative response about this soon if I am missing anything!

    I hope this helps but if you have any follow-up questions or require further support, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again soon  :) 

    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities, and assistive technology. Pronouns: She/her.
  • Lizzybell84
    Lizzybell84 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for replying so quick.

    College is going good my assessor For HSC is brilliant, so i have no worries there... I have had CBT therapy with Italk (last session tomorrow then a 3 month check up) which has helped quite me more than I thought it would and the lady i saw has referred me to adult Services. shes has helped me so much.. i know what techniques work and what don't. I have found it more difficult to deal with PIP then when i was on DLA. 

    I will show this to my stepdad and ask for his help with the forms or phone calls needed to be done.

    Thanks again



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.