Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Deputyship Application without using a Solicitor?

Options
Bewy
Bewy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I've just joined the group as I am looking into Deputyship for my 18 year old son who lacks capacity and has done since birth. Does anyone have any experience of applying themselves without paying a Solicitor? The charges they are quoting will virtually wipe out what we have saved for him. Surely this can't be right, nor the only solution.

Comments

• niknak7278
    niknak7278 Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
    Options
    Bewy said:
    I've just joined the group as I am looking into Deputyship for my 18 year old son who lacks capacity and has done since birth. Does anyone have any experience of applying themselves without paying a Solicitor? The charges they are quoting will virtually wipe out what we have saved for him. Surely this can't be right, nor the only solution.
    Morning @Bewy

Thank you for starting this thread off.

I was advised by a solicitor to ask my daughters social worker if they would support an application, which I did, and she’s gone away to discuss it further. 

I’m obviously not in a position to pay £2-3k for representation, so I’ll be applying myself.

I was advised that rarely do Judges grant the application if social services are not in agreement.

If anyone knows any different then please correct me as it would make life so much more easier.

Background:  Daughter went into respite under a DoLs due to lacking capacity and absconding and she returned home with no protection.

I asked social services for protection and they’ve gone away to think about LPA/DiLs/Deputyship. 

All I have right now is informal consent with medical.
  • Bewy
    Bewy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for sharing NicNac. We are only just getting to know Social Services but it does sound like good tip to include them in the people to be notified section (5).
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.