I own my own business. Can I earn more than the £143 a week to cover business costs and income? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I own my own business. Can I earn more than the £143 a week to cover business costs and income?

Options
KatyMc
KatyMc Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am new here, but am looking for some help around accounts and permitted work. 
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KatyMc - & welcome to the community. I presume your query relates to ESA. If so, you can earn up to £143 per week, & you must work for less than 16 hours a week. You should also inform the DWP if starting work & there's a form you can use here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community glad to have you here 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @KatyMc

Welcome to the community, it's nice to see you join and I hope you are well. This is a very supportive community so I'm sure that you will enjoy taking part, and if you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask.

Is there anything in particular regarding accounts and permitted work that you are struggling with?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • KatyMc
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Yes it is in relation to ESA and permitted work. I run my own business and come under the 16 hours a week. My question is around income. At present the business does not bring in more than the permitted amount of money, however that means that most of the money goes on business costs and not my drawable income. Can we earn more than the £143 a week to cover business costs and our income or are we limited to the above amount meaning my take home pay will be minimal. I also need to build up money in the business for some significant overheads of paying others at times. I hope you are able to help. Many thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If, which I presume, this is a new business, then this will be taken into account as to the assessment period used, & may not start until you have actual earnings as a self employed person. The assessment periods would then be extended until a yearly assessment is possible, then it could be worked out more accurately what on average your weekly earnings may be. A shorter period, say of some months, could also be used if this could give an accurate reflection of your earnings once your business becomes more established. Please see:
    V5117 - 8 shows how earnings are calculated.
    Then scroll down to V5190 to see what are considered 'Business expenses.' Personal drawings wouldn't be considered such an expense.
    V5206 details what such expenses might be. Some expenses may be both for private & business use, e.g use of phone, or car, so you would need to work out what would be considered an appropriate proportional amount for these.
    If VAT is involved, see V5160.
    Depending on the nature of your business, there may be other applicable sections in this chapter.
    You mention 'we' so if you have an partner, please see: V5407 - 8
    I would recommend employing an accountant; if you keep accurate records of your profit & loss, then the charges are not too bad.
  • KatyMc
    Options
    Thank you. The question including the word 'we', was a generic 'we' as in people in recipt of ESA on permitted work. I am a sole trader, but contract work out to others when required.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Earnings are the difference between business income and business expenditure, not the income itself.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • KatyMc
    Options
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bear in mind also that, depending on your circumstances, you might be eligible for UC and this has no permitted work limits. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • KatyMc
    Options
    Thank you will bear this in mind. Not inclinde to mess about with my benefits at the minute, just get my head around them.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.