If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for carers?

Options
Ryanna
Ryanna Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited December 2021 in Mental health and wellbeing
Just wondering if there's any other carers out there looking for support?
I support my husband in a lot of ways and have to try to be resilient at all times else it makes his anxiety so much worse.

I've taken on a new job this year which has been full on and stressful and so I've not managed to offer the same amount of support as usual.

Also I have felt overwhelmed and my own anxiety has kicked off and I'm not sleeping well. But I don't really have anyone to turn to as my friends don't really "do" mental health issues!

So just signed up here to find others in a similar situation.

Hope to find others to chat to and exchange ideas and support each other ?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Ryanna a warm welcome from me also, in our area we have a  great carers association might be worth seeing if theres one near you, they offer excellent advice and practical help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It seems as though you've got a lot on your plate @Ryanna , so I can imagine this would be a bit overwhelming at times. 
    But I don't really have anyone to turn to as my friends don't really "do" mental health issues!
    Do you mind me asking what you mean by this? Have they expressed that they're not willing to talk things through with you, or be a shoulder to cry on?

I hope that you'll be able to connect with other members here who can relate to what you're going through. I look forward to seeing your posts and comments. 

You may also be interested in getting in touch with Carers UK, as they're able to offer a range of advice and support.

Have you spoken to your GP about the anxiety you've been experiencing?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Ryanna
    Options
    It seems as though you've got a lot on your plate @Ryanna , so I can imagine this would be a bit overwhelming at times. 
    But I don't really have anyone to turn to as my friends don't really "do" mental health issues!
    Do you mind me asking what you mean by this? Have they expressed that they're not willing to talk things through with you, or be a shoulder to cry on?

I hope that you'll be able to connect with other members here who can relate to what you're going through. I look forward to seeing your posts and comments. 

You may also be interested in getting in touch with Carers UK, as they're able to offer a range of advice and support.

Have you spoken to your GP about the anxiety you've been experiencing?
    Thanks for your reply, I think I mean that whenever I bring up sometime mental health related, family just switch off as they just find it irritating... or in my brother's case, find it something to mock "why can't you just...." Or laughing at when we check the weather before preparing for a long drive home.

I've seen Drs and had CBT for my anxiety years ago..  and have been "ok" for a number of years now... But the wibbly stomach is back I think due to extra stress of new job in addition to daily difficulties.
  • Ryanna
    Options
    Something, not sometime!
  • Ryanna
    Options
    Thanks @Teddybear12, I have definitely taken on a more responsible job... it's exactly what I've wanted for years to be honest, I'm now using all my skills and keeping my brain active... It's just a really difficult situation at work... For everyone, not just me, as a huge amount of staff left and then were replaced with completely new people, and there's noone to do a handover and noone who knows how to do anything, so I've had to seek info on everything, work out what I'm doing and how to do it, and now have staff to look after who are all new and need training. All doable stuff..  just everything is urgent right now and it's hard to do urgent stuff when everything is new!

Saying that, my team are amazing and we've found a way around everything... yes I'm full time, so I'm just exhausted and awake in the night writing notes of work stuff to remember!

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.