I've stopped working due to ill health. How can I find out if I'm eligible for financial help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've stopped working due to ill health. How can I find out if I'm eligible for financial help?

Options
gaynor99
gaynor99 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am at present 64 years old, I had to finish work in March 2020 due to ill health. I have received no income or benefits since that date. I live with my husband who is retired.
I see many news items where people are eligable to claim financial help, how can I find out if I am eligable.
Tagged:

Comments

• gaynor99
    Options
    I am at present 64 years old, I had to finish work in March 2020 due to ill health. I have received no income or benefits since that date. I live with my husband who is retired.
    I see many news items where people are eligable to claim financial help, how can I find out if I am eligable.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I suggest you look at completing a benefits calculator to see what you maybe entitled to you can find one on gov website 

It's not easy for us to advise without knowing all your circumstances 

Another source of advice could be welfare rights or cab 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @gaynor99, thanks for reaching out! I've moved your post to our Benefits and Financial Support category so that it's easier to find.

Have you had a look at the benefits calculator on the Turn2us website? That might be a good place to start. 

I'm sure our members can also advise you with their own experiences too. 

If you need any further help with anything, please do let us know.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,648 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi,
    New style ESA maybe possible but it will depend on your NI contributions in tax years April 2018 to March 2020. You will need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this. It's not means tested so other income doesn't affect the amount you're entitled to, apart from a works pension, if you receive more than £85 per week then your ESA will be reduced by 50p for every £1 over that amount.
    There's also Universal Credit but whether you're entitled will totally depend on both of your circumstances. As it's a means tested benefit then savings/capital and other income affects it.
    You mention your husband is retired, does he claim his State Pension?
    If your health condition affects your daily life and you don't already claim either DLA or PIP then have a look at PIP. It's not means tested so other income/savings do not affect the amount you maybe able to claim. More information here. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gaynor99
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you think new style ESA could apply you can backdate a claim by up to three months if you have a supporting Fit Note from your GP. It will also be important to apply before the end of the year. If you leave it the new year they will look at the tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21 and as this covers the period since you stopped work you will not meet the qualifying NI conditions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • gaynor99
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.