Favourite Christmas Traditions & Memories — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite Christmas Traditions & Memories

Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
We'd love to know all about the community's favourite Christmas traditions and memories of the festive season!

Do you love getting family and friends together? Dressing up, or dressing down? Is Christmas all about the food for you, or something else entirely? 

We hope you enjoy sharing below :)
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Christmas eve tradition is Xmas eve box , wearing Xmas pjs , watching a Disney dvd and hot chocolate with marshmallows 

As a child mum always cooked the pork joint in advance on Xmas eve and we had hot roast pork sandwiches for supper 

I make biscuits with toby and we used to do a gingerbread house and decorate
  • Alex_Alumni
    I'll share some of my favourite games that only come out at Christmas: the Memory game, Matchsticks in a Bottle, and Bagatelle.

The memory games usually involves hiding 20 objects under a tea towel and writing them all down from memory in 2 minutes or less.

As the name implies, Matchsticks in a Bottle involves 10 matchsticks and one milk bottle. The goal? To drop as many matchsticks in the bottle as you can, over 3 rounds.

And Bagatelle is one our favourite traditions, it's is sort of similar to pinball, but not quite.

As a family we get quite competitive, and loud enough for the neighbours to hear our screaming and shouting  :D
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Alex_Alumni
    That sounds lovely @janer1967 do you have a DVD already in mind this year, or do you decide on the day? :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like being allowed to drink champagne with orange juice at 10am

One tradition I have is to always eat a small portion of Christmas pudding on Christmas Day, even though I’ve never liked it and everyone knows I don’t like it
  • Alex_Alumni
    It's strange what we do, even if we don't like it, and the excuse is always "because it's Christmas"  :D

I'm sure a lot of people share your first tradition @66Mustang!
    Scope

• 66Mustang
  • janer1967
    Nothing in mind as yet we have disney plus now so will see what we fancy on there 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Oh that's even better @janer1967,  I'm sure they're planning a lot of excellent Christmas content!
    Scope

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,762 Disability Gamechanger
    Its all about family for me we all get together for Xmas Dinner, do the crackers ware party hats, then we do prezzies. Then we watch TV or play games
  • Alex_Alumni
    That sounds lovely @Sandy_123 :smile:

It's always interesting to hear when people like to open presents, whether it's before or after dinner, I wonder if there's an even split across the country  :D
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    When our son was 4 (he's in his late 30's now) me and his gran took him to a large dept.store to see father Christmas we queued up for about 2 hours and when we got to the end of the queue he was having non of it and flatly refused to sit on his knee or speak to him, we were not best pleased but managed to see the funny side.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alex_Alumni
    I think my sister or I may have done something similar in the past  :D never dull!
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I do love the food and drink, and very much can't wait to get stuck in this year. 

One tradition that comes to mind, and it's most certainly not unique to me, is that we've always taken it it turns to open presents, so that the person opening theirs can have the spotlight on them. We do it one present per person at a time until everything is opened. When we lived at home, as me and my siblings grew older, we realised that our mum often had a pile of presents that was much bigger than ours, very much a sign of the tide changing :) So, we would all end up finished with our presents and would just watch our mum happily opening hers, which was always lovely.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang

One tradition that comes to mind, and it's most certainly not unique to me, is that we've always taken it it turns to open presents, so that the person opening theirs can have the spotlight on them.
    Very civilised, I might have to suggest that. I especially don't like it when two people are opening a present that I have given them at the same time as I like to watch peoples reactions, I'm sure others feel the same!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I definitely like to see people's reactions when they open their presents, so I agree with that @66Mustang. We tend to take it in turns to open them too!

I also used to force myself to eat a portion of Christmas pudding every year, despite not liking it. It was a couple of years ago that I finally stopped doing, it and I don't regret it :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    As a child we were always woken up at 6.30am and we all just dived in. It was a very mad moment and there was wrapping paper everywhere. This has changed as we have all grown up though. 

Another thing we always did and I even took part as a was going through my teen years was we made cakes and chocolate rice crispies on Christmas Eve. 

Now…I look forward to the lunch, the family gathering (as much as we can) and then the going home on the evening and throwing myself on the sofa as I’m still bloated. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkM88 choc rice crispies yum, haven't had those for year, also made them with cornflakes.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    @woodbine yes we made them with cornflakes too and I’m the same I haven’t made any for ages. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    It's really nice to read about everyone's Christmas traditions :) I think Christmas food is definitely a reoccurring theme throughout the comments...

As a family, when we were younger, me and my siblings would always go to Christingle on Christmas Eve. I remember always thinking it was so magical with all the candles and lights, but the thing that I would look forward to the most is the orange that we would get at the end of the service. The orange had dolly mixture sweets all over it, and that was definitely my highlight of the service...eating all the sweets!

Now that I'm older, I love just slowing down at Christmas and appreciating the simple things. Lots of good company, food, and nice walks :)

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • janer1967
    Try putting mini marshmallows in the choc crispy cakes yummy 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.