PIP Mandatory Reconsideration - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

Options
2»

Comments

• abhishek_96
    abhishek_96 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Thanks for your input on the MR process @disbutveryabled :) 

I submitted a full MR bundle to the DWP consisting of an 11 page letter and 67 pages of evidence. 

The initial decision made by the DWP was laughable. Throughout the decision, incorrect inferences and comments were made by the assessor who also chose to ignore the medical evidence provided. 

Firstly, in my MR letter, I have addressed each of the problematic comments made by the assessor and supported my arguments with the relevant evidence. 

I have then gone onto discuss the daily living activities that I wish to be reconsidered by the DWP in the following paragraph format:

1) summarising the issues I suffer from for the given activity.

2) summarising the DWP’s original decision for the given activity 

3) introducing my counter argument and the amount of points I believe I should have been awarded.

4) outlining the DWP’s failure to fully consider all the information provided in the application form and during my assessment.

5) outlining the DWP’s failure to contact the relevant medical professional(s) to ascertain further information (should they have needed it)

6) outlining the DWP’s failure to consider the relevant medical evidence which confirms the difficulties I encounter for the given activity

7) outlining the DWP’s failure to consider the reliability provision under SI2013/455

8) then summarising my overall counter argument and concluding appropriately.

I was already awarded 7 points for the daily living activities. I am hoping to be awarded the enhanced rate for the daily living activities element of PIP through the MR. 

Hopefully the MR bundle I have submitted is enough to change the original decision however, I am mindful that an appeal to the Tribunal is a possibility and I am fully committed to fighting this matter all the way. 

I hope you have a great Christmas and new year :) 
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 240 Pioneering
    Options

I submitted a full MR bundle to the DWP consisting of an 11 page letter and 67 pages of evidence. 

The initial decision made by the DWP was laughable. Throughout the decision, incorrect inferences and comments were made by the assessor who also chose to ignore the medical evidence provided. 

Firstly, in my MR letter, I have addressed each of the problematic comments made by the assessor and supported my arguments with the relevant evidence. 

I have then gone onto discuss the daily living activities that I wish to be reconsidered by the DWP in the following paragraph format:

3) introducing my counter argument and the amount of points I believe I should have been awarded.

4) outlining the DWP’s failure to fully consider all the information provided in the application form and during my assessment.

5) outlining the DWP’s failure to contact the relevant medical professional(s) to ascertain further information (should they have needed it)

6) outlining the DWP’s failure to consider the relevant medical evidence which confirms the difficulties I encounter for the given activity

7) outlining the DWP’s failure to consider the reliability provision under SI2013/455

I was already awarded 7 points for the daily living activities. I am hoping to be awarded the enhanced rate for the daily living activities element of PIP through the MR. 

Hopefully the MR bundle I have submitted is enough to change the original decision however, I am mindful that an appeal to the Tribunal is a possibility and I am fully committed to fighting this matter all the way. 

A friend of mine just point out one or two discrepancies from the assessment report and outline all the aids, prompting and assistance he needed for the relevant descriptors and he was awarded PIP. He didn't submit any evidence as much as yours. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • disbutveryabled
    disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    The initial claimaint date. I had an MR accepted, and I got backdated from the date I put on the PIP form (17/02/2021). Best way to appeal an IAS report is to list all the discrepencies in their analysis and/or findings (incorrectly saying your eye contact was good on a phone call, omitting important details discussed which could be in your favour). It was my strongest vantage point for when I got my IAS report overturned.
    It’s very easy to read a report and pick it apart. However, it’s important to remember that that, in itself, will almost never get you PIP. PIP awards are made on the basis of strong evidence. If you pick apart a HCP report but your own evidence isn’t actually that good you still won’t get PIP.
    I agree, they said they'd get the evidence from my references, but messed me about and caused me a lot of anxiety. After a couple of calls concerning this, my decision maker contacted them and sorted it. I should have initially included my GP and MH practitioner reports, but I was wrongly advised that they'd do it. Don't assume anything with DWP, that's how they get ya.
  • disbutveryabled
    disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    edited December 2021
    Options

With my MR I gained 17 for care, and understandably 0 for motability. I feel that you're on the right track, but please remember to only refer to your disabilities for causes and aggrivators to your issues, as throwing it around aimlessly isn't the strategy to use for PIP (it may have worked for DLA). Please see response to Mikecseq.
  • abhishek_96
    abhishek_96 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Good afternoon guys,

I hope you are all keeping well. 

I thought I would update you all and let you know that I was awarded the standard rate for the daily living allowance following the submission of my Mandotory Reconsideration :)

Thinking ahead, If at any point my condition worsens and I have evidence of this, would I be able to forward this evidence onto the DWP with a view to be put onto the higher award? are there any associated risks with doing this?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your condition gets worse then before doing anything else you should get some expert advice to check whether it's possible to score more points for a higher award. A worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle you to more points.
    You can report the changes and more forms will be sent for you to fill out and return and the whole process starts again. THe outcome could be your award stays the same, it could be increased or you could lose what you currently have.
    You must also have had the worsening of condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @abhishek_96 thanks for your query, if you decide to submit a change of circumstances, you must be able to evidence how your condition has worsened to the extent that it is having more of an impact on your ability to carry out each of the PIP descriptors. 

There's no guarantee that your award will go up, it may well stay the same. If you do decide to let them know about changes, keep a record, as Citizens Advice explains:

It is a good idea to keep a written record of the fact that you’ve reported the change to the DWP. For example, in case the DWP disagrees that a change has been reported.

If you report the change by phone, make a note of what you said and when you called. If you write to report the change, keep a copy of the letter. Ask the Post Office for free proof of postage - you might need to show when you sent it.

The DWP will send you a new ‘How your disability affects you’ form to complete. You should fill in the form and send it back by the date given on the front page - check how to complete the PIP form.

Let us know if you feel we can help further with anything, and keep us in the loop with how you get on :) 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.