Should I make claim for esa? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I make claim for esa?

Options
cpnan
cpnan Community member Posts: 48 Connected
Hi everyone, shortly after Christmas I will be dismissed from work on health grounds.  I have already filled out UC50, waiting for an assessment.  I’m wondering if I should make a claim for esa too?  I know if I got it, it would be taken out of my uc, so I’m not sure if there’s any point in claiming?  TIA.

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @cpnan :) 

Thank you for your enquiry and I'm sorry that you're being dismissed from work due to your health. I'm not an expert in benefit queries, however, I can signpost you to various resources that might help inform your decision about whether or not you may apply for ESA.

Hopefully, some of our members will be able to share their experiences with you and help answer your query. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    You are correct that if you claim ESA alongside UC you are no better off because the ESA is deducted from the UC.

The argument for claiming ESA also is that it is not means tested so if you think there is a chance that you might have a change of circumstances which would result in no UC entitlement (inheriting some money, moving in with a partner in full time work for example) then claiming ESA means that you would still have income of your own.

ESA is paid fortnightly whereas UC is paid monthly which some people prefer. Others prefer the monthly payments only.

On ESA you get Class 1 NI credits whereas on UC you only get Class 3. Class 1 credits count for benefits other than State Pension whereas Class 3 only count for State Pension - for many people this may not be a major consideration, they will be mostly concerned about State Pension.

The downside is that ESA is taxable income whereas UC is tax free. If you have already used up your tax free allowance for the current tax year you may prefer not to claim ESA because doing so will give rise to a tax liability. If your NI contributions are complete for 2019-20 and 2020-21 you will be able to claim ESA, if you want to, at any time in 2022 so you could still claim after 6th April 2022 by which time we will be into new tax year. After December 2022 you may not have the option to claim ESA because you may not have a complete Class 1 NI record for 2021-22 (that will depend on how much you have earned to date).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To claim New Style ESA now you will have needed to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax year April 2018 to March 2020. If you claim in January the tax years change to April 2019 to March 2021.
    Although it's deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement because New style ESA isn't means tested, it's always worth claiming it, if eligible. You never know what will happen in the future and with the ESA savings/capital, a working partner and a works pension up to £85 per week are all ignored for this ESA.
    It's also paid fortnightly and can help you to budget better because UC is paid monthly. It also pays class NI, where as UC only pays class 3.
    Providing you are not currently claiming SSP you can start a claim for ESA now, if you've paid those NI contributions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    poppy123456 said:..because New style ESA isn't means tested, it's always worth claiming it, if eligible. ..
    Although I generally agree I do think tax liability is a consideration as referenced in my reply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said:..because New style ESA isn't means tested, it's always worth claiming it, if eligible. ..
    Although I generally agree I do think tax liability is a consideration as referenced in my reply.

Agreed, forgot to mention that. I see we cross posted and didn't see your reply when i posted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Thank you everyone.  I will apply once I know when my employment/ssp ends.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can apply 3 months before your SSP ends but you won't receive any money until it ends. You do not have to wait until your employment actually ends.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I thought I needed to know when my ssp ends, I will look at applying today.
  • calcotti
    Options
    cpnan said:
    Thank you Poppy, I thought I needed to know when my ssp ends, I will look at applying today.
    Yes, you do need to know when you receive SSP ends. Poppy didn’t say that you didn’t, just that you didn’t need to wait until it ended. You will need form SSP1 from your employer.
  • cpnan
    Options
    Ah ok thank you, will wait for that information regarding ssp.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.