Difference between Velobike and Green Power mobility scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Difference between Velobike and Green Power mobility scooter

MissKarenB
MissKarenB Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi! My name is Karen and I am looking for a mobility scooter for my elderly mother- she is in her late 70's. Mum is still out and about a lot, but due to her diabetis I want to make sure she has no problems with her mobility. And now I am about to choose the scooter for her. I get these calls from Green Power, I looked them up and though they seem ok I am concerned about many bad reviews on Trustpilot. My neighbour suggested Velobike, apparently that comapany has much better service than Green Power. But to be honest, I would like yo know more about both companies, as this will be an expensive purchase for me. And I want this scooter to also look trendy for her so she looks like she's driving a Mercedes  not Vauxhall:)

Comments

• Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 796

Scope community team

Hi @MissKarenB and thanks for your question, I've marked it as answered to help our members find it more easily.

I noticed you've posted the same question in a few much older discussions, so if it's alright I've deleted these posts, so as not to confuse anyone. 

Has your mother spoken to you about which one she would prefer? What's most important is that she feels happy with the scooter she'll be using, that she's comfortable with it and wants to use it. 

Have you considered visiting a mobility aid shop or showroom with her, if there's one local to you? It'll really help your mother get a feel for the equipment. It's much like testing a car, you won't know how it feels otherwise, especially if you are totally new to the process. You may also have the option to rent or lease a more trendy scooter if that's more affordable for you. 

Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MissKarenB
    Hi Alex! Thank you so much for this. I have been thinkingto do so, but as it is Christmas approaching I wanted to buy a new vehicle. And as I do read reviews online, I do believe that real opinions do matter most! 
    Also, I want my Mum to feel safe and comfortable once she takes her scooter out. And most importantly, I am worried if something happens to the scooter, how does the servicing looks like etc. And I have mixed feelings.
  • Alex_Scope

Scope community team

You're welcome @MissKarenB, I don't think you need to rush into buying anything too quickly, you could just commit to buying it as a present, then purchase a scooter once your mum has had a chance to try something out and decide for herself.

It's important to also remember that some reviews online aren't always reliable, so it's perhaps best to speak to someone from an accredited community equipment supplier as well, such as a mobility aid shop. I appreciate they aren't always available locally, so it might be worth looking into first. In my experience, shops like these will be able to talk to you about their servicing agreements should you make a purchase with them. What is it you have mixed feelings about?

I hope this forum can also provide some advice from members with experience in this area, so it's positive that you've reached out here.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• MissKarenB
    I have those hopes, too. I still have not decided which one to get. Green Power seems cheaper, but then they have many bad reviews which seem to be eligible. Then Velobike is a bit more expensive but their scooters look similar.
  • Alex_Scope

Scope community team

It depends what your budget can stretch to, oftentimes you get what you pay for, but the best way to find out which is the right choice is to test them out, if you can. 

As I mentioned, by testing them your mother would then be able to get to grips with what she wants most out of a scooter when she's using it.

If you can't test them, way up these features with her: does she want long battery life, lots of mileage, or how well does she want the scooter to handle kerbs or difficult terrain? Will she be using it mainly indoors or outdoors? Knowing the answers to these will help to narrow down your search. 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.