Working Tax Credit disability element - questions and how to proceed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working Tax Credit disability element - questions and how to proceed?

Options
Commanded2bwell
Commanded2bwell Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hello. I've finally been awarded my PIP, and have been made aware that I may qualify for additional payments under my Working Tax Credit. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience or advice regarding the process of applying.

In my instance, my PIP was awarded for my autism. Looking at the following website,
which lists the test criteria for the WTC disability element, I assume that I would qualify under item 17, which is "Due to mental disability you are often confused or forgetful." This is a symptom of my condition on most days of the week, and the closest thing in the list that approximates any kind of mental health or neuro-divergent condition.

The next page of the website has this:

Condition C - You get disability living allowance (DLA – either component, any rate), Personal Independence Payment (PIP-either component, either rate) or attendance allowance (or an Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme equivalent). You must meet this condition throughout the period of your claim, not just at the start of it.

I added the bold to the last line because I'm not sure what it means. Does this mean I need to be receiving PIP for a certain minimum time before I can claim the disability element? Or that I need to be receiving PIP throughout the time it takes to claim the disability element? Or something else? It seems very strangely worded.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It means that to continue to receive the disability element of WTC you must continue to be awarded PIP. If your PIP stops for any reason they so will the disabled element of tax credits. It will also be backdated to the start of your PIP award, providing you were claiming WTC at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Commanded2bwell
    Options
    Hi poppy, thanks for your reply.

When you say backdated to the start of my PIP award, does that mean the original (failed) PIP application? I got PIP after mandatory reconsideration, and received a backdated lump sum to cover the intervening months while it was waiting to be reconsidered. I've been claiming regular WTC since before my original PIP application.

Cheers
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes backdated to when your PIP award was backdated to, which is the start of your claim. It may take several weeks to recalculate your WTC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Commanded2bwell
    Options
    I got through on the WTC phone line, today and have been told to expect a phone call sometime next week... or not. I might not get one if the disability team decide to just use the data and evidence collected by the DWP for the PIP claim. But if I do get a phone call, there will be questions.

Does anyone know what questions I should expect?

There is not, apparently, a claim form to fill in, any more. There is just this phone call... if you get one.
  • tess9pups
    tess9pups Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    bit confused is this site for people who have been awarded PIP>
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tess9pups and welcome to the community 

The site is for disabled people and carers and c8vers many different areas not just pip and benefits 

Have a look around the different categories and get a feel for the site a good place to start is recent discussions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tess9pups - & welcome. This site is for any person affected by disability, so is often disabled people, but also those with disabled children, or other relatives.
    Many questions are about benefits such as PIP, but all things related to disability are very welcome. Please let us know if you have any questions of your own.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello there @Commanded2bwell I'm just checking back after you first posted in December, how have things been going?

Did you ever get that phone call in the end?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Commanded2bwell
    Options
    Hi Alex, yes, everything is sorted now! Payments are arriving as scheduled after January. I still don't know what they think was the official start date because I still think their first payment was late... but I don't think it's worth pursuing. Cheers.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That's good to hear @Commanded2bwell I'm glad it's all in order now. I hope you're enjoying your weekend :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• solly1902
    solly1902 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    @Commanded2bwell I'm in the same situation I got my pip awarded and spoke to wtc lot. Submitted the disability form to wtc been 3 weeks still waiting. I spoke to them yesterday and was told a notice will be sent out in 48 hours and payments should be updated. See how it goes 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Keeping fingers crossed for you @solly1902 I hope that's the case! 

Let us know how you get on :)

Alex
    Scope

• ChiChi
    ChiChi Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I receive standard rates of both parts (PIP AWARD) and also recieve tax credits and working tax credits because my husband works 25 hours. 

I spoke to the lady at WTC and she said that I will not recieve any extra money as I do not meet the criteria for any back dated payments as I recieve only standard rates of both parts. I was awarded from June 20th 2022 til March 2025.

Am I not entitled to the disability premium?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ChiChi said:
    I receive standard rates of both parts (PIP AWARD) and also recieve tax credits and working tax credits because my husband works 25 hours. 

You are not entitled to the disability element of Working Tax Credits because you are not the one working.

if you got the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP you would get the Severe disability element but as you get the standard rate you do not qualify for that. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ChiChi
    ChiChi Community member Posts: 50 Connected
    Options
    calcotti said:
    ChiChi said:

You are not entitled to the disability element of Working Tax Credits because you are not the one working.

if you got the enhanced rate of Daily Living PIP you would get the Severe disability element but as you get the standard rate you do not qualify for that. 
    Thank you for explaining it to me, I understand it.now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @ChiChi. It is the very least you deserve.

It sounds really positive that you understand it now. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.