Plug in electric car grant cut by £1,000 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Plug in electric car grant cut by £1,000

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,757 Disability Gamechanger

The government grant towards buying an electric car has been cut from £2,500 to £1,500 essentially making some electric cars £1,000 more expensive for the consumer.

The amount a car can cost to be eligible for the grant has also been reduced: previously, you’d get the grant for a car under £35,000 list price, now it has to be under £32,000.

I notice Motability has deleted almost every electric car from their car list; there were around 90 electric cars available via the scheme as recently as this week, now there are 9. I wonder whether they have been removed or just temporarily taken down while the advance payments are reviewed and possibly adjusted upwards to reflect the additional cost?

I just thought I’d share in case anyone was interested and to see if anyone wants to share their views.

Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is interesting, thanks for sharing @66Mustang :)

Personally, I'd be tempted to try and get an electric car through Motability when I'm next due to. I hope the choice does go back to being wider. It would be quite limiting to only have a few makes available, as the garages won't be close by for everyone. One of the things I factor into my choice of car is the location of the garage for things like MOTs/Services. 

I think facilities for electric cars, like charging points, will really have to be scaled up to make buyers feel more comfortable about making the switch. But that can't happen unless there's higher demand in the first place I'm guessing!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Good points @Alex_Scope

Something I thought was that, if the government do want us all in electric cars, surely the Motability scheme is one of the best ways of getting them out there and into the hands of the public, not just for the scheme members but also because in 3 years time they become a used car for someone else to buy :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's also a good point @66Mustang but then who knows what will come in the next few years, hopefully something more positive.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,560 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's been a huge amount of cars removed from the list with motability within the last couple of months. I can only guess it's because there's just too many people on the waiting list for new cars.
    My son in law works for a well known main dealer and he told me the list of people waiting for new cars is the longest he's ever seen.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yeah I think that you are right regarding all the cars being removed from the list over the last few months.

Do manufacturers get less money for a Motability “sale” vs. a regular sale? I guess if that’s the case some are probably prioritising the regular customers.

I did find it a bit of a coincidence that all the electric cars disappeared together, right after the announcement.

A perfect storm maybe.

A bit off topic but I’d be interested to know how they actually decide which cars go on the scheme, but I guess each manufacturer has a different method of deciding!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,635 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, as you suggest, the profit made on Motability sales is considerably less than private sales.  Several dealerships are now prioritising private customers because of that.

Motability could afford to pay the dealerships more out of the profits they make, which would make manufacturers more likely to offer their cars on the scheme.  But they don't seem interested in reducing their own profit margin for that.  It's a difficult balance though as they need to keep enough people in the scheme to keep it going.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In October the UK produced the same number of cars as we did in October 1956, mainly due to the shortage of computer chips which is set to continue into next year, as for electric car grants I think they are hoping they will start to become cheaper, I think I remember reading that 28% of all cars sold recently were electric ones.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone

Just noticed that all the electric cars are back in the scheme now. From what I can see the prices are the same as before, at least the ones I can remember :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,560 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would love an electric car but my problem is i have no drive to install anything. The thought of charging else where is not very appealing to me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As we progress charging points will become as common place as petrol pumps, and batteries will be improved so they will do far more miles than the 280 or so they do now on a full charge.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.