COPD, PIP Application turned down — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

COPD, PIP Application turned down

shirley9937
shirley9937 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Afternoon.  I have joined this forum as I have a partner with severe COPD and am looking for a friendly bit of advice please.  He has applied for and been refused PIP, (it was a telephone consultation) although he was given 6 points for daily living and 4 for mobility.  I have read some threads who say something along the line that it's not the illness, but the way that the illness affects daily living that matters.  

My partner was basically turned down because the DM said that he doesn't take significant medications and that he didn't appear to be breathless during the assessment.  

Does anybody have any advice on how I get around the fact that he is severely limited in what he can do (he did score some points) and yet the DM says that the medication he takes doesn't show that he is severely limited and the fact that he hasn't had a chest infection in a while (he's barely been out of the house since COVID) .  He is under a respiratory clinic, but doesn't see the same consultant each time and his last consultation was on the phone.   His GP only sees him once a year and I don't know what else to send in as proof of his disability.  There isn't anybody who sees him on a regular basis, who would be able to confirm his disability.  I already sent a letter with his application - maybe I need to do so again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Medical evidence isn’t really needed for a PIP claim. It’s only helpful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most doesn’t state this. 

When writing decision letters they use a lot of templates and medication is one of them. I would ignore this if I were you.

Your next step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. You should put this is writing stating where and why you think he should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him. Include information such as where he was, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 

Timescales for MR decisions are between 2-12 weeks. 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 796

Scope community team

Hello @shirley9937 and welcome to the forum. Thanks for reaching out. To help our members advise you I've moved your post into our PIP category.

I have read some threads who say something along the line that it's not the illness, but the way that the illness affects daily living that matters.  
    Yes, that's correct it is the affect on daily living that matters. If you haven't already, you can find details of the PIP descriptors here. Try to write down examples for each of these that explain how your husband is able (or not able) to carry each one out.

Some useful resources you can take a look at around challenging a PIP decision can be found at ScopeTurn2Us, and if needed, you might want to seek advice through AdviceLocal

Please let us know if we can help any further, don't hesitate to ask.

Alex

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • shirley9937
    shirley9937 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your comments.  Interesting to know about the medication - I guess the fact that his prescriptions shows that he has them is enough.  I spoke to the DWP this morning and requested his full assessment (although having read threads, it seems that it's not really necessary). I asked that the return date for his appeal be extended until after Christmas, as the post is shocking.  They said that I have 13 months to send it in, but I think the sooner the better.  I will have a little sit down and put some examples of how his illness affects him daily and go from there.  Many thanks again.
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 796

Scope community team

You're welcome @shirley9937, I'm glad to hear you've got a good chunk of time to appeal, but I think I agree, the sooner the better- just don't rush it :)

Do keep us updated with how you progress, and if you're unsure about anything, please just ask.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,627 Disability Gamechanger
    You definitely don't need the assessment report for the MR. Infact it only distracts you from concentrating on what you need to which is the real world examples i mentioned above. Concentrating on the report will not get him a PIP award. If it gets to Tribunal stage then it can harm your case if you concentrate purely on the report.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.