Hi, my name is Mrscinq! I have Cervical Stenosis. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Mrscinq! I have Cervical Stenosis. Any advice?

Mrscinq
Mrscinq Member Posts: 5 Listener
Im new to all this, I think I am considered disabled but not sure.. I have Cervical Stenosis and have had C6/7 removed (ACDF) and have had additional root blocks as have nerve pain and loose the feeling in my arms and hands at night.  Any advice would be grateful.  I 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 7,049

Scope community team

Welcome to the community @mrscinq :) How are you doing today?

Everyone is welcome on the community, so there's no need to worry about that.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing nerve pain and loss of feeling in your arms and hands. Do you get a good level of support from your medical team? 

I've moved your post into our chronic pain and pain management category for the time being, so that others with similar experiences will be able to find your post a little more easily. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • purpletoast
    purpletoast Member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hello @mrscinq  welcome to the community and thank you for your question. How are things going?

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing nerve pain and loss of feeling in your arms and hands. If these are significantly impacting your ability to function, which I can quite  imagine they do, then you are likely to be classed as having a disability. 

Is there something specific that you need help with because of the impact this is having on you?
  • Mrscinq
    Hi  Thank you for replying.  Ive been on  a bit of an emotional rollercoaster if i'm honest.  I have a lot of symptoms and its getting me down as I try my best to get on with life, work, cook, clean etc but its getting harder and its really affecting my mood.

The loss of feeling I get is sporadic.  Some times i lose the feeling in my fingers through the day and theres been nights where Ive woken up and I cant feel or move my arms or hands. Thankfully  after about 10 minutes the feeling comes back and then I have intense pins and needles.

I do have a good surgeon who wants to take another disc out of my neck but due to my age (41) and having C6/7 removed and L5 removed about 16 years ago they are reluctant to do it.

Ive had a phone consultation with PIP, (I applied in August as a friend said I should be eligible and had my consultation on 17th December) but no decision has been made and I feel like I need more and more help but scared to ask for it as I feel like no one would believe me as its invisible bar the scar.

I have had nerve root injections and take regular pain killers which I hate as I dont like relying on them but its just really getting me down at the moment.  Any advice on what to do would be really appreciated.  

Thanks
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

Scope community team

Hello @Mrscinq

A belated welcome to the community from me too, thanks for getting back to us and providing an update on how you are getting on. 

I'm sorry to hear that your condition is getting you down, I think it's important to keep accessing your medical team if you feel as though you are struggling, both with this and with your mental health. They would be able to support you. Additionally, I woudl encourage you to take some time to relax and focus on what you enjoy doing, which might make you feel a bit better.

Regarding your PIP, hopefully you hear back from them soon, how did you feel your assessment went?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Mrscinq
    Hi @Ross_Scope

Thank you for replying to me. I am going to contact them tomorrow and see what support I can access as I think you are right, they should be able to signpost me to local support services both mentally and phyically.

I thought the PIP went well, she asked me why I didnt have a blue badge, I told her I could walk so didnt need one! She thought I should apply though.  I was on the the phone for to her for about an hour and she seemed to listen and understand what I said but based on what I have read here and in the press I wont be taking it for granted and I fully expect to have to fight for the award.

Thank you

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.