Personal Trainers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Personal Trainers

Options
Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I am thinking about going to a personal trainer in the new year, I wondered if anyone had any experience with any who had expertise with the disabled or perhaps a resource where I might be able to find someone, if it helps i am based in Leicestershire

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,237 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your first step would be to look for gyms in your local area and then look at personal trainers in the gym. They won't be cheap though. My daughter got a personal trainer a few months ago and she pays £30 per hour for 2 hours per week at a cost of £240 per month. She works full time and is able to afford that sort of money. Some may be cheaper or more expensive.
    Some will have experience with disabled people, others won't it will depend on the personal trainer. Do be careful though because some will also expect a minimum contract length so you could be stuck in a contract. Try and find one that you won't be stuck in a minimum contract, especially if you reply on benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Years of campaigning around exercise opportunities for disabled people shows that the fitness industry is by and for the extremely fit, youngest healthiest people, and for the most part, despises and hates those who are not both physically perfect and extremely rich.  Direct quote, from a council employed fitness instructor in a council leisure centre, spotting someone entering the gym using crutches: "What are you doing in here?   Can't you read?  The sign outside the door says "fitness centre".  We are here for fit people wanting to improve.  People like you should go somewhere else, go to hospital or something.  We have nothing here for c***ples to do exercise."  
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello @newborn I'm so sorry to hear about what you've witnessed, as well as your experience of the fitness industry. It shows the barriers we face are often from people's mistaken attitudes and assumptions, which can be difficult to overturn. 

I've edited your post so that the offensive term used is starred out. I understand that it's a direct quote, but as it could still cause offense I've removed a small portion. I hope that's okay :) As a reminder to be mindful of what to post, our community house rules can be viewed here.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi @Garza :) 

Thank you for your comment and query with regards to PT services. 

I'm unable to make any specific recommendations and I must make you aware that this is not an endorsement by Scope of a service, but here is a PT in your area that you might want to consider? They state that they also have experience of disability coaching :)  - I hope that helps!

I also know a few PT's through my own experience of being involved in sport (for my career) and a lot of them are fantastic communicators and very empathic/understanding. Although they aren't necessarily trained in disability coaching, they are generally just fantastic and have wonderful personal skills :)

I hope that helps and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • emilyanne
    emilyanne Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Options
    I would love a personal trainer 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is there anything holding you back from getting one @emilyanne
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.