Disability premium on contribution based ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability premium on contribution based ESA?

Options
simo1234
simo1234 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Ive just been awarded standard daily living on pip
i claim esa and I’ve been in the support group for over a year now… 
I have heard about disability premium but when I spoke to some bloke today from esa he said I can’t get it as I’m contribution based.
he said I can claim uc but I’m so confused 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi,
    If you started your ESA claim after December 2018 then it's higly likely going to be New style ESA that you're claiming and this is a contributions based only claim, so no disability premiums are payable on this.
    You can check entitlement to Universal Credit as a top up to your ESA but this is means tested so claiming it will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    A claim for UC will end any tax credits you may already be claiming.
    If you claim both of these together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. There's no disability premiums payable on UC but because you're in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.
    Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. Or speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=a06c67e6-bf80-4fab-863f-3c9c898d78bd

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @simo1234, I see @poppy123456 has kindly given a detailed reply to your query so just wanted welcome you to the community. :)
    If you have any further questions or there's anything you're unsure of, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.