Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Moving house and need advice about support
I am 52 and have cerebral palsy, which is relatively mild and therefore I can live independently of any care, apart from employing a cleaner who comes for an hour, or so once a fortnight who helps me with some jobs that I can't manage myself. I also take lodgers who help me financially and offer some company. However, I have found this quite difficult, as there are times when I feel fatigue (a symptom of my disability), and unable to do some minor jobs, and I don’t have any backup – they don’t even open the kitchen blind in the morning! They also can be very condescending towards me and spend most of their spare time in their room, while I spend my evening on my own!
I spent several months in Carmarthenshire with my mother, and found the Welsh to be very friendly and chatty, and I want to move there. I want to make sure that I have have support for my disability, and don't feel that I am 'running' to keep up with ableist expectations of me, which have led to me being so isolated.
Can anyone share their experiences of living independently? What support do you receive?
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.5K Coffee lounge
- 33 Games room
- 422 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 209 Community updates
- 9.1K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 784 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 609 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 756 Transport and travel
- 30.3K Talk about money
- 4.2K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 855 Chronic pain and pain management
- 156 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 815 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions