Do i click yes or no - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do i click yes or no

Options
13»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Help with the rent when living in Supported housing is paid through your local council as part of housing benefit, not through UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Still trying to work out how your work coach is able to accept your claim. The only route I can see is if they treat you as falling under this category
    Other course of study or training
    This is where a claimant is not a qualifying young person and is doing any other:
     part-time course
     full-time course non-advanced/vocational study or training without the provision of a loan or grant for maintenance

This is not treated as being in education under the basic conditions of entitlement if they are still able to meet any work-related requirements placed upon them.

These students must meet all of their conditionality requirements and meet the work - related activities set - including availability for work if that requirement applies. In some cases, continuing the course may be included as a work-related requirement if it gives the claimant the best chance of securing work.

Otherwise, the claimant must be prepared to rearrange or stop the study to complete work activities or to take up work and they must not restrict their availability.
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2021-0835/146_Students-eligibility-conditionality-student_income_V23-0.pdf

If they then accept your Fit Notes they can use their discretion to turn off the work search requirements pending a Work Capability Assessment.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks calcotti, it does make sense but It still gives me a headache.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sweetpea8
    Sweetpea8 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Options
    @calcotti they have accepted ny fit note and turned off work search requirement i think what u have just said is what they done that cattogy
  • calcotti
    Options
    poppy123456 said: ...still gives me a headache. 
    Me too.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said:
    I cant get hoising benifit as im in education . And universal credit has a housing eliment to help with costs
    Normally you cannot get the housing element of UC to help with rent in supported accommodation. It will depend on the nature of the support provided.

See
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-and-universal-credit
    If you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing
    You can apply for Universal Credit to help with living costs. Whether it can help with housing costs depends on your accommodation and how it supports you.
    You can apply for Universal Credit to help with housing costs if both apply:
    • you live in supported or sheltered housing
    • you’re not getting ‘care, support or supervision’ through your housing
    You cannot get Universal Credit to help with housing costs if any of the following apply:
    • you’re living in supported or sheltered housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with ‘care, support or supervision’
    • you’re living in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B arranged by your council
    • you’re living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse

If you cannot get help through UC you may be able get it through Housing Benefit. If this applies, I think the fact you get PIP means you are not excluded from claiming HB even though you are studying full time.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/housing-benefit/help-with-your-housing-benefit-claim/check-if-you-can-get-housing-benefit/

• Sweetpea8
    Options
    @calcotti that says you’re living in supported or sheltered housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with ‘care, support or supervision’

That is different to supported living. Im under adult social care 
  • Sweetpea8
    Options
    @calcotti

When you may not be able to claim

Usually, you will not get Housing Benefit if:

• your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit
    • you’re paying a mortgage on your own home - you may be able to get Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)
    • you live in the home of a close relative
    • you’re already claiming Universal Credit (unless you’re in temporary or supported housing)
    • you live with your partner and they are already claiming Housing Benefit
    • you’re a full-time student
    • you’re residing in the UK as a European Economic Area (EEA) jobseeker
    • you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
    • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds
    • you’re a Crown Tenant
    • you’ve reached State Pension age but your live-in partner has not - unless you had an existing claim as a couple before 15 May 2019
  • Sweetpea8
    Options
    @calcottiIf you are younger than pension age, you will only be able to make a new claim for housing benefit, if
    • you live in supported or temporary housing and
    • you are a part-time student, or
    • you are a full-time student but meet an exception.

Other students may be able to apply for Universal Credit. 

What are the exceptions?

You can apply for housing benefit if you are a full-time student who lives in supported or temporary housing and

• you are under 19 and on a further education course (such as A levels or NVQ, but not higher education courses), or
    • someone is getting child benefit for you, or
    • you are solely responsible for a child, or
    • you get Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance, or
    • you have a disability, or
    • you have been incapable of work for 28 weeks, or
    • you and your partner are both students and have a dependent child, or
    • your college has allowed you to take time away from your studies due to illness or caring responsibilities.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said: That is different to supported living. Im under adult social care 
    We were just picking up on your of the term ‘supported living’. As advised, it depends on the nature of the support.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said: When you may not be able to claim...
    I’m not clear what you intended by this post so can’t comment.

Did you read the Citizens Advice link I posted earlier?
  • Sweetpea8
    Options
    @calcotti but if i applied for housing benift would universal credit stop? Cause i need money for food when i move out too
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said:
    @calcotti but if i applied for housing benift would universal credit stop? Cause i need money for food when i move out too
    No… housing benefit would be purely for your rent.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said:
    @calcotti but if i applied for housing benift would universal credit stop? 
    No. Most people now get help with rent through UC but people in certain accommodation are not permitted to do so. Those people can claim Housing Benefit instead of the housing element of UC, they still get any other parts of UC they are entitled to.

Depending on what support you get in your accommodation you will either claim the housing element of UC or Housing Benefit.
  • Sweetpea8
    Options
    I know in accomodation im looking into i will be in 24 hour place supported livng and support is paid for by social service but usually they have a service charge and i would also need money for food ant that
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sweetpea8 said:
    I know in accomodation im looking into i will be in 24 hour place supported livng and support is paid for by social service but usually they have a service charge and i would also need money for food ant that
    That sounds like supported accommodation which would require you to claim Housing Benefit to help with rent (when the time comes). As already advised you would still get UC including the standard allowance and any other applicable elements but not the housing element.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.